Thorens TD125 MK ll running again

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Thanks to Gary (62 Vauxhal) I have got the thorens running again. Bought it new in 1972 and has been parked for about 20 years. Chuck Mangione was first up followed by Santana Abraxas

Attachments

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nice turntable, Glen. Did Gary supply you with some needed pieces to get it going, again?

Nando.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Nice turntable, Glen. Did Gary supply you with some needed pieces to get it going, again?

Nando.
Gary got my interests up to get it going again. We did a little swapping and I got a new belt. The old one is still on as we installed the wrong one. Anyway it is running. The motor may need to be replaced as it is slow starting up but for now working.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thanks to Gary (62 Vauxhal) I have got the thorens running again. Bought it new in 1972 and has been parked for about 20 years. Chuck Mangione was first up followed by Santana Abraxas
An SME tonearm needs to be played often Glen. Not every 20 years.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Nice table, Glen...nice arm!

Got a question. Do you find your little dustbug thing creating static? I've always used one since way back when and recently quit using it and now I have no more static problems on my albums.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Nice table, Glen...nice arm!

Got a question. Do you find your little dustbug thing creating static? I've always used one since way back when and recently quit using it and now I have no more static problems on my albums.
Hi Bill
I bought the cleaner some time ago and have not used it till now. I used to use a Watts arm similar to this and used some anti static spray on it. We need to get the player experts to chime in on this. Gary was telling about record cleaner solution that may be good for these brushes.

The SME is a 9" with dampened bearings. The cartrage is a Decca FFSS select C4E

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Nice the later TD-125 and the earlier SME. Nice combo.

I had a 125 II with a 3009 S2 Imp and it was a great turntable. Memories forever of the first hearing of Pink Floyd's WYWH. Missed that table. Finally a year or so ago found a 125 (no II), a friend gave me a deal on a 3009, same S2 Imp, gave me a dust cover and hinges and I rebuilt a table that I had 32 years ago. Longer down time without.

My friend had those parts available because he had a new base made for the table and the dust cover didn't fit it and he put an audiomods arm on the table, removing the SME. I'm happy with the combo and even though I have swapped in my Magnepan arm, I'm keeping the SME. The 125/SME is The Classic Turntable and just looks right.

Glad you got yours back up and running properly. Did it get a recap? I did this with my friend's 125 II and it improved it overall response to the power switch.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Nice the later TD-125 and the earlier SME. Nice combo.

I had a 125 II with a 3009 S2 Imp and it was a great turntable. Memories forever of the first hearing of Pink Floyd's WYWH. Missed that table. Finally a year or so ago found a 125 (no II), a friend gave me a deal on a 3009, same S2 Imp, gave me a dust cover and hinges and I rebuilt a table that I had 32 years ago. Longer down time without.

My friend had those parts available because he had a new base made for the table and the dust cover didn't fit it and he put an audiomods arm on the table, removing the SME. I'm happy with the combo and even though I have swapped in my Magnepan arm, I'm keeping the SME. The 125/SME is The Classic Turntable and just looks right.

Glad you got yours back up and running properly. Did it get a recap? I did this with my friend's 125 II and it improved it overall response to the power switch.
great story

the motor is slow starting so a new cap may be the ticket. I will look into it.

Thanks for your approval.

Glen

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I'm very happy for you! I've had mine since '77, they need some sewing machine oil every few years. I highly recommend you not use it till you get some oil in that motor. Do a search on putting oil in the motor in the 125 MKII. It's pretty easy, lock the arm, flip the TT over, heavy bitch ain't it?

Remove the 4 footer screws, be OCD and put them back in the same place, don't over tighten, you just need to secure the particle board base.

There is a tiny hole to put a few drops of oil in there, that should help your slow start issue...are you sure the belt is the right one?

It should last you till you get called home many years from now, you will not find anything better unless you want to spend $10,000+, enjoy!!

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I'm very happy for you! I've had mine since '77, they need some sewing machine oil every few years. I highly recommend you not use it till you get some oil in that motor. Do a search on putting oil in the motor in the 125 MKII. It's pretty easy, lock the arm, flip the TT over, heavy bitch ain't it?

Remove the ... particle board base.

There is a tiny hole to put a few drops of oil in there, that should help your slow start issue...are you sure the belt is the right one?

It should last you till you get called home many years from now, you will not find anything better unless you want to spend $10,000+, enjoy!!
Yes, it is one heavy table for what it looks like.

The bottom cover, this needs to go. One improvement on the TD-160 Super over the TD-160 was replacement of the hardboard bottom with a chunk of thicker MDF. I believe the same can help the 125. I use mine without a bottom cover right now.

This speed adjustable Thorens is one of the few Thorens tables that can compensate the speed when using a non-Thorens belt. All non-Thorens belts I have tried on my TD-160 Super provided inaccurate speed. There will be different start characteristics with a non-Thorens belt that would effect the 125, though.

Recapping these today is something that makes the electronics respond better. The speed can be set to center the speed adjustment wheel, the neon lamp comes on immediately, the table starts right up and well it is just better, like it is supposed to be. On Mike's table, I upgraded the older board (still a Mk II version) to the one with fewer parts. This is a job described on AK at http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/td125-motor-stopping.348375/ Speed improvements included less clutch chatter if any, quick to speed and accurate speed from the start. All around just better.

As for the $10K spendable to replace the td with anything better. I know a Thorens guy who bought a Clear Audio (used, many upgrades got a deal) that had a combined retail of about 6k, I'll say it again, he got a deal. He says it is a 40% improvement in sound quality from his records. This was enough for him to swap the starter Graham Slee arm with a new arm. This teaches me that the 125/SME is a grand old table that can be beat without too much trouble but it will cost at least a few grand. And these 125s have new thrust plates, polished spindles, new oil for the motor and the spindle, one with a nice new thicker solid wood base that also helps a bit.

Those of use that like the vintage gear do get a little off base when talking about new gear to be the equal to what we know and love. No problem, I'm there, too. The Magnepan Unitrac is the equal of arms up to about 1500. Haven't proven it, but with the right cartridge, that might go higher.