Thorens TD 320 Re-Restore

frhodes

Journeyman
Tagline
---
A couple of months ago I saw a minty Thorens TD 320 sell on Ebay for $1005 including shipping. A few days later on Ebay
I spotted some parts which I could use to bring my TD 320 back close to original. It cost me $66 for the parts but then I was
able to sell some leftovers for $90. Of course I had to add a few things like:

Thorens 550 gram stabilizer (I don't know if this does anything but it sure looks cool)
Custom milled solid aluminum knobs and suspension covers,
Ortofon 2M blue cartridge (looks prettier than the red)
xPLTH3 Absorberplatte

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
A couple of months ago I saw a minty Thorens TD 320 sell on Ebay for $1005 including shipping. A few days later on Ebay
I spotted some parts which I could use to bring my TD 320 back close to original. It cost me $66 for the parts but then I was
able to sell some leftovers for $90. Of course I had to add a few things like:

Thorens 550 gram stabilizer (I don't know if this does anything but it sure looks cool)
Custom milled solid aluminum knobs and suspension covers,
Ortofon 2M blue cartridge (looks prettier than the red)
xPLTH3 Absorberplatte
Great looking table...

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
An absolute beauty! BUT...

View attachment 18849

Whuzzat hunk o' schmutz doin' there?
I second that question !
I mean sh!t, look at that stabilizer. Look at that Ortofon. Look at those neatly routed signal leads.

... but more importantly,
I cast the first vote for you in word usage,
for the unofficial - Word of the Month - award.

schmutz

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I had one of these mint in the original box several years ago, I ended up selling it for $550 + shipping on eBay. No hands down my favorite TT that I have owned. Wish I could have afforded to keep it

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Saw a Pro 520C in the wild the other day.....I swear Stu got a x woody just looking at it....I gotta say it was a gorgeous table.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
More important questions: It looks like the arm and motor sections are separate pieces- correct? My guess is that this doesn't have the sub-plinth suspension that other Thorens tables have. With the separate tonearm mounting "block", do you still have options for other tonearms? Are there alignment or geometry issues with separate pieces like that?

I second that question !
I cast the first vote for you in word usage,
for the unofficial - Word of the Month - award.
schmutz
You're kidding, right? You never heard "schmutz" before?

That is vinyl dandruff. I did get to it before the tone arm. (good eyes)
"Vinyl dandruff" is a good one! Remember the '60s when dust would build up so bad on your Voice-Of-Music changer that the record would skip? Wipe it off with your fingertip? New product proposal: "Groove 'n' Diamond" shampoo instead of "Head "n" Shoulders!"

EDIT: Damn, opened my mouth before I opened my eyes: I see that the turntable bearing and tonearm mount are on the same section, so the bearing center and tonearm bearing pivot stay in proper distance. Only the motor is isolated.

Last edited:

frhodes

Journeyman
Tagline
---
More important questions: It looks like the arm and motor sections are separate pieces- correct? My guess is that this doesn't have the sub-plinth suspension that other Thorens tables have. With the separate tonearm mounting "block", do you still have options for other tonearms? Are there alignment or geometry issues with separate pieces like that?

You're kidding, right? You never heard "schmutz" before?

"Vinyl dandruff" is a good one! Remember the '60s when dust would build up so bad on your Voice-Of-Music changer that the record would skip? Wipe it off with your fingertip? New product proposal: "Groove 'n' Diamond" shampoo instead of "Head "n" Shoulders!"

EDIT: Damn, opened my mouth before I opened my eyes: I see that the turntable bearing and tonearm mount are on the same section, so the bearing center and tonearm bearing pivot stay in proper distance. Only the motor is isolated.
Correct. The td 321 model came without tone arm. You could select the SME 3009 or the TP16 mk IV like mine or use
any other tone arm. Mine the TD 320 has auto shut off which the TD 321 did not have. You couldn't have the auto shut off
with other tone arms although at one time it was offered from the factory with the SME 3009.