Thorens TD 160 Super Speed Adjust

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Ok I'm tearing my hair out over this. Can't find a simple straight explanation on the internet, or in ANY manual for the turntable, apart from an inkling that the Motor angle has to be adjusted to adjust speed on this table, but no idea how to do it. I do see some screws which are have some sort of seal on them, so they are still factory set, no idea which to touch.

If anyone knows more about speed adjustment please let me know.

I have been using my TD 165 instead which is dead correct on speed and has recently had the OM10 upgraded to OM20, sounding sweet. But I really want to get the speed of the 160 super perfect. Its ever so slightly fast. I have a strobe handy to measure it.

derek92994

Tagline
I just found something, the screw closest to the platter is supposed to adjust angle. Will give that a try.

derek92994

Tagline
Adjusting the Angle corrected the speed on the strobe, took some time to get the perfect setting. Will test it with an LP when I get home from work.

The belt is a near new genuine thorens belt.

Thanks for the suggestions guys =).

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Damn, sounds like you got it d2. Kinda hoping you fell out of love with the 160 and wanted to ship it north to me....

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Old belts cause speed issues with all belt drive TTs. You can actually extend belt life with talc every few months

derek92994

Tagline
Damn, sounds like you got it d2. Kinda hoping you fell out of love with the 160 and wanted to ship it north to me....
The 160 super table has been with me since 2003, its my first serious unit followed by the TD 165 in 2007. They may need a little attention from time to time, but its worth it, and they sound great. The heavy build and suspended setup is a big plus.

Its funny how you can search the net for hours looking for an answer, then you post in a forum and happen to stumble upon the answer minutes later, just by good luck =). Done that a few times.

Old belts cause speed issues with all belt drive TTs. You can actually extend belt life with talc every few months
I can understand this theory, as the belt gets less tension that could cause it to speed up a bit. However this table has been slightly fast over the course of 3 belts. The big difference the genuine thorens belt made was the fact that it can switch to 45 without me having to manually take the platter off and move the belt up to the top of the pulley. It is the correct thickness.

I will be doing more testing tonight as I have not played an LP on it yet. Very busy day and very little sleep last night. Looking forward to the weekend.

Good to hear your roof is getting fixed Ron, you have been through enough shit lately. About time things turned around for you.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Thanks Derek, they will be here shortly to complete the job. A bit later I will pop in and see how you made out

derek92994

Tagline
Thanks Derek, they will be here shortly to complete the job. A bit later I will pop in and see how you made out
I have it running dead on speed. Compared a few records to CD copies and they are right on. Even went to the trouble of recording LP tracks onto the PC and playing both the CD copy and LP recording the same time, perfect.

derek92994

Tagline
Its made a nice difference to the sound, especially the low notes. Getting late here and nearly time for bed. Neighbors need to sleep too :evil4:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Greg Metz is my "go to" Thorens expert. He is owner of STS Turntables, and has a site, www.classicthorens.com . If you ever want to have a Throens serviced or need a part, he is a really great and extremely knowledgeable guy. He rebuilt the TD-124 I bought and has classic training in rebuilding these awesome machines. Check out his website sometime.

I am loving my TD-124 for sure.

derek92994

Tagline
Greg Metz is my "go to" Thorens expert. He is owner of STS Turntables, and has a site, www.classicthorens.com . If you ever want to have a Throens serviced or need a part, he is a really great and extremely knowledgeable guy. He rebuilt the TD-124 I bought and has classic training in rebuilding these awesome machines. Check out his website sometime.

I am loving my TD-124 for sure.
Thank you kind sir.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I don't know that the old thorens belt is off on speed. I have a TD-160 Super I bought in 86 and was probably 3-4 years old at that time. The original belt was dead on balls accurate and still is if I put it back on the table. I replaced it with the correct Thorens belt and have accurate speed. All other belts were off and I did not go with the adjustment of the motor screw mentioned with these other belts as I wanted the accurate Thorens belt. Proper start up, proper speed and proper speed change. Can't ask for much more other than something less than 30-some bucks for an accurately built rubber band.

Glad you found the ability to adjust the speed. Hope that change made it so you can also change speed properly.