This Missouri Company Still Makes Cassette Tapes, and They Are Flying Off the Factory Floor

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Interesting, and it reminds me of the genesis of the forum here. If the Larrt could've gotten that loader going "right".. Let alone get the garage cleaned out enough to actually be able to work on it effectively. ;)

Kind of wonder if it made it's way over to NAC. Frick I still have the manual / binders somewhere in this place.

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
They get featured on the Springfield TV news quite often. That's our 'Local' station. 3 hours away. And we can only get it in standard def. on Dish hopper.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Back several years ago they were trying to do a type 2. They have one now (also made for Tascam) and it’s far inferior to vintage NOS TDK or Maxell type 2 tapes.

It is mind blowing how so much technology just evaporated… there must be people alive who know how to make tape properly.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Don't bet on it. Most are as dead as the guys who made/processed Kodachrome. Sadly.

One of the big brains behind Hi8 video tape was a family friend from Ohio (DuPont mylar plant). Died a few years ago at his retirement home in Atlantic Beach, NC. I'm guessing he may have had some input into audio tape backing as well. We played with their kids al the time.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Could also be a matter of cost to recreate oxide formulas or the machinery they used to make the higher quality mylar. Could be they are sensing the spending demand before building an assembly line. "If you build it, will they come, and how much are they willing to spend?"

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The Mylar is still available. Drum heads are Mylar. No technical deficit there.

Oxide powders could be it. Getting sizing chemistry and morphology all right and then properly calendaring it for a smooth surface that won’t eat heads.

It is very easy to get the exact chemistry of a vintage tape now. EDS can have that in a few minutes. But particle size (possibly determined by SEM) may be tricky as the particles would be mechanically deformed by the calendaring process. That makes determining morphology before calendaring more difficult to determine as well.

My guess is you want a very homogeneous compound if not a fully alloyed metal. Probably gas atomized and classified to a narrow size band.

But if it’s a cermet, simple spray drying and classifying might do it.