This may be a tough one

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
They make Frequency changers or converters that take take an a/c input and transform it to D/C and then use an inverter to created the correct a/c voltage and frequency, but the price would be prohibitive for a home use. Your best bet is to secure a turntable that will work with different voltage sources.

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
Avoid the AC inverters for the purpose of changing frequncy and such, I also tried a normal type converter, neither did well, too much noise is put into the line and you won't like the results.

Just my expirience but without putting the TT on its own circuit I would expect the same results elsewhere.

Jim

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Plus the cycles do the speed also. Think I'll wait. I get like this every once in awhile. I'll just wait.

They seem to have nicer tables and more of them in the UK.

Larry

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yup your best off to get a unit designed for the US power grid. A nice Technics 1200 would fit the bill. I know someone who has a whole trailer load of them. :joker:

speakerman1

Tagline
Ok the cart is worth 200.00 the arm is worth close to 300. an LP-12 60hz motor will fit with modification. I know it is an entry level TT.

If I want a better one. You guys will have to sell more tapes. LOL I'm just trying. I'm looking at all angles. The motor is 60.00.

Larry

I can't afford an LP-12 or a MH 7 or 9 even at my price. I could probably live with a MH 5.

Larry

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Web Police said:
Yup your best off to get a unit designed for the US power grid. A nice Technics 1200 would fit the bill. I know someone who has a whole trailer load of them. :joker:
I have a Hitachi-made MCS 6600 to play with along with my Philips 202, which I fixed myself except for the power switch. Several others in the queue, although nothing earthshattering.

Technics SL-210?, SL-1300 (needs work)
Pioneer PL-4 and 610 need work
Sony PS-T25 needs a lot of work
RCA Victor 7 HF 45 stereo convertable phono-only console "Golden Jubilee limited edition" New Orthophonic
Silvertone box portable (mono). red and white vinyl case. (not working)

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hi Larry,
Well the auction said no USA bidding so that might be the problem.
But just to clear things up, the voltage in a unit is usually converted to some level of DC.
The source of the voltage can be changed using a stock transformer from a surplus place.
The motor to the table makes the difference- if it is hysteresis synchronous then a new 60 Hz motor is required. Voltage step up transformers are not that hard to find. You would probably have to get the plug changed anyway from the European to the two or three prong USA type. If the motor is a DC type like some of the cheaper tables I have worked on then the frequency does not make a difference as long as a 120 Vac transformer could be found to give the voltage it needs out- it all gets changed to DC after that anyway.

speakerman1

Tagline
Skywavebe said:
Hi Larry,
Well the auction said no USA bidding so that might be the problem.
But just to clear things up, the voltage in a unit is usually converted to some level of DC.
The source of the voltage can be changed using a stock transformer from a surplus place.
The motor to the table makes the difference- if it is hysteresis synchronous then a new 60 Hz motor is required. Voltage step up transformers are not that hard to find. You would probably have to get the plug changed anyway from the European to the two or three prong USA type. If the motor is a DC type like some of the cheaper tables I have worked on then the frequency does not make a difference as long as a 120 Vac transformer could be found to give the voltage it needs out- it all gets changed to DC after that anyway.
Hi Sam
Oh yee of little faith. I'm winning as we speak. I won't win it. It is at 82 GBP and I'm only going to 100 GBP. There is 6 hours to go. It doesn't have a DC motor. That is ok. I won't win. I'm certain.

Larry

speakerman1

Tagline
I found a way to do it. It is an external motor. You just a belt to your TT. I guess you pull your old motor and make sure the bearing is good and go for it.

Larry

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hi Larry,
There are plenty of use table out there that are in the USA. I would be looking for a 1200 that is near by you so that you could pick it up and then get one for a price where the person is just trying to get rid of it as it is taking up room. Some widows sell things like this.
Sometimes you have to wait. I did this for Pioneer CS-99A speakers in my area as shipping is a big mistake for those sized items. I ended up with three sets of these great speakers over the time frame and enough to set up several rooms or at least a couple of quad listening rooms. Now all I need are the rooms.
Just keep an eye out for what you want.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I built my own with the exception of the KLH Model Sixes and Altec Stonehenge I's.