Thinking of taking the plunge into reel to reel... advice?

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I’ll trade you all three of my RTR decks for that one lol/jk. Anyways I’ve gotta figure out which two I’m keeping. Probably the A4010GSL and the Akai gx635d. The X-3 is probably the one that has to go…..

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Do not make decision in haste and I would get rid of the Akai as there will never be heads for those while the two Teac decks I will have something to put in there. People think those heads will last forever in the Akai and I have already seen in the GX-635D heads that were terrible in response which was -11dB down at 6.3 KHz all above that were gone. I don't call those everlasting heads.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I also have here a GX-625 that he dropped off. I will have to see what he did to it as his A3300 was pretty worn down head wise. It still works but the head are about 80% worn down which is why I am looking to fit the pioneer heads in there.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I have to say that Pioneer are not he best decks I have worked on but they are still pretty good in respect to what you can get out of them and we now have new heads that can be put into them but I may be figuring out a way to get Pioneer heads into the regular Teac mounts- still working on it. It will not be possible with X2000R like head mounting as that is a different animal.