Thinkin' about a Denon DCD-600NE

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Well I got the ListenUp flyer this week, I always like looking at stereo gear I can't (or want to!) afford. But they were featuring the Denon DCD-600NE for $300. It has a BB PCM5142.....

https://usa.denon.com/en-us/shop/cdplayers/dcd600ne_d?varid=dcd600nea#divSubscribe

Or perhaps I should look at something like a used Sony ES? I dunno. My experience with old/used CD players is that they age like milk and are hard to fix, hence me wanting something new. They also featured a Cambridge ACX35 for $350.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Seems to be good value for that Denon, Kyle.

I like multi-format players and as Bob B. responded with his pick for a Sony, I bought a Pioneer DV-563A for my first home entertainment system. It's also a DVD player, so perhaps looking for a used DVD player with SACD and DVD Audio playback capability might net you a surprise.

Here are a few of the features of the DV-563A:

This is a high-performance movie and music machine. In addition to DVD movies, the slim DV-563A plays multi-channel, high-resolution DVD-Audio and SACD discs, plus all of your recordings on DVD-R/RW*, CD-R/RW**, and MP3. It even has a PhotoViewer feature for viewing JPEG still photos. For sensationally great video, it features a 10-bit/54MHz Video D-A converter and our PureCinema 2:3 Progressive Scan, and includes a component video output. For great audio, it offers Virtual Dolby® Digital with SRS® TruSurround and digital outputs for Dolby Digital and DTS® surround. A high-end 192kHz/24-bit D-A converter ensures superb musical performance.

url-6b38dd00b6b6da8bd98eb0b97ef5692e.jpg

Many favourable articles/reviews about this model. I did plenty of research about DVD players before buying this model new in the 2000s and it bested many other models at more than twice the price. You could probably find a used one for $50, or less.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I picked up a JVC DVD player from Salvo’s for five bucks. I plugged it into the line in on my Panasonic at work for CD duties. Works just fine.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Thanks Nando, I'll give that DVD player a look. Those are dirt cheap on epay, I may bite.

I am eyeballing an Oppo BDP-103 on CL right now..........but I'm too cheap!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I use an Oppo UDP-203 in my home entertainment system. Since Oppo discontinued their product line, prices for used ones are more than what they originally retailed for.

Nando.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Just checked the going price on my BDP-83....you're not kidding about the $ increase. Selling for double what I paid 3 years ago!!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
If you are playing red book CDs you are better off getting one of the older high-end transports. They are fairly cheap, most used good Philips mechanisms in them, and parts are available. (if you want to play a wider array of discs, this gets more complicated)

I use the Theta Data (sometimes called Data Basic) which uses a Philips CDM9 PRO transport. Krell, Levinson and a few others were also using this transport. Parts, including complete NOS transports, can still be found fairly easily. I replaced my drawer gear and drive belt once so far. It was less than $20. I also cleaned and white lithium lubed the rails and its (last I used it) working like new. It has a remote control and everything!

Then the D to A conversion- anything ever made will work, so you can pick your favorite. I want to "upgrade" to the obsolete Apogee Rosetta 200. It is two-channel DA and AD conversion. Used for a long time in a lot of studios; has an external clock input (switchable) for the clock of your choice. Apogee again offered the "big ben" which probably is still being used even though the AD converters have probably been changed...