The SugarCube has landed... SC-1 Plus

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Everything went 'sold out' on these 'cubes the middle of last summer - damned chip shortage/supply chain issues. :confused:

That said, Sweet-vinyl has been extra busy pushing out firmware updates on these magic boxes so I guess that when production comes to a screeching halt like it has - you go all-in & focus your resources on the software support side of things.

One thing I've been slightly disappointed in since I scored mine was the lack of immediacy in the 'clean up' process when doing need drops at the beginning of LPs. Not a huge thing but still noticeable. Well, it looks like these guys have been tweaking the performance behavior big time because lead-in grooves sound much better as a result of updates within just the past month and a half.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
No listing for the Pro-Ject box anywhere yet. I figure if anyone has it, it will be Music Direct and they don't as yet. Anyone know a price - suggested or otherwise?

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Update on Pro-Ject box - it's not available through US dealers; has to be special ordered. For the price, it seems decent from the online review I've seen. Still saving for an SC-1 or 2 mini, though, as it blows the Pro-Ject out of the water in the head-to-head comparisons I've seen online. Assuming, of course, one of them ever becomes available again. Early to mid 2022 has come and gone...

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---

Mohawk

Chief Journeyman
Could you use the SC-2 as a AD converter for other analog sources as well ?
Currently my system is based on the minidsp 4x10HD ..
The replacement to the 4x10HD is called the Flex 8, better DAC, better processing etc, but the new unit does not have an analog input anymore!

I have been wandering the interwebs looking for a decent AD converter to use with an old school marantz 150 scope tuner and my 6300 turntable...

Only one set of RCA's in ?

Thoughts ?

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Could you use the SC-2 as a AD converter for other analog sources as well ?
Currently my system is based on the minidsp 4x10HD ..
The replacement to the 4x10HD is called the Flex 8, better DAC, better processing etc, but the new unit does not have an analog input anymore!

I have been wandering the interwebs looking for a decent AD converter to use with an old school marantz 150 scope tuner and my 6300 turntable...

Only one set of RCA's in ?

Thoughts ?
What's to prevent using a small patch bay - or other passive switching device like a DBX 200 - to switch between the phono preamp output and other line level analog outputs going into the SC-2? That would be my first thought. For tapes in this scenario, you would run the signal through the Sugar Cube with zero processing just for the A>D conversion. Don't know why it wouldn't work. Kinda like how recording folks run vocals through an LA-2 or 1176 compressor without compression just for the sound of the compressor's electronics.

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
There’s gold in them dumpsters. Note the last record I got for $1.05…
Very much so. Not sure I'd have room for - or could even find two thousand $1 records I like - that would justify the $2000 for the Sugar Cube. But someone would, I have no doubt. Plus, there's the additional turntable with less expensive cartridge with a stylus that could be easily replaced to play or digitize the really bad vinyl.