The Gibsonian, 3-White Oak Board Conundrum !!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
To those of you who may have followed the trials, tribulations and trevails of the Gibsonian refit and upgrade, this post will serve as the footnote.

First--- In no way, shape or form should my failures with Gibsonian's(hereafter referred to as "Scott") amp be construed to let any defamation fall to Joe's board. It was not Joe or his board that caused my problems but MY ELECTIVE MODIFICATION of Joe's board. After a few e-mails it finally dawned on me that what i had done to Joe's boards were causing all my problems I encountered after the MASSIVE SQUARE WAVE i fed it by mistake.
Wanting to use the wires I had salvaged out of numerous computer power supplies I found that they wouldn't fit in the padholes on the board, so.......... I carefully mounted my sharpest little twist drill in my handy pin vise and proceeded to drill out, 11L,R ; 12L,R ; 5L,R ; and both sets of Q6 hardwire points. What I had just done by doing that was to screw up a carefully engineered PCB to the point of not giving continuity to the bias transistors or consistent ground or power to the board.
This is not being posted as a monument to my ignorance (as we all know ignorance can be fixed,,,,STUPID, however can't) but as a helpful little hint to anyone else out there who may be so inclined.
Your Humble Servant, Lee

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I have, by any stretc-------t, of the imagination, very crude test equipment. I am in the market , and am actually pursuing an Audio Precision One analyzer. I hope Joe will chime in and tell me how totally unnecessary one of these things are, but in all fairness I need to be able to quantify these refits with credible test gear, thank you all for your forebearance.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
An understandable error with your gender and occupation; drilling is pretty natural to you I would estimate! Not many in this world open to airing their mistakes, albeit a tiny one. That's one of the things we like about you Lee. Anyhow, it all ended well and I am a very satisfied customer in the end. Thanks so much for the quality rebuild.

Totally different subject, did anyone see the PL Superamp ad for sale on ebay? Pretty cool but way overpriced.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Oh and the quantification of before and after performance with the analyzer will be very cool.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
We have a pic of that ad, if one of the other members was into graphic design perhaps we could have a reissue of said poster??

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
You saved me untold troubles and I am totally in your debt. You see, I too drilled out the "too small" bias transistor lead wire holes on a re-installed WOA main board. It was not until I read your post did I go back and see that I had cut the thru-hole neatly enough to try and force the electrons to jump through space, something they are not wont to do. Fortunately, I was able to neatly glob (a contradiction in terms I'm afraid) enough solder onto both sides of the pad and onto the protruding wire. A quick check of the ohm meter shows the electrons have a path to flow to their content.

Thanks, Lee, you ARE the man.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
A bit of info folks that are using the White Oak Board.

There are no high current circuits on the control board. High currents are limited to the power supply bulk section and back TO-3 transistor wall where there are high currents. Thus 22AWG or even smaller is fine for connections to the control board (for the bias transistors I use 26AWG on the 2N3403s to keep the lead stress on these TO-92 devices to a minimum as you flex the wire harness during installation). No advantage will be gained by increasing the gauge of the connection wires as currents involved are less than 20mA. Of course, we realize that this is a personal preference thing and we will be increasing the hole diameters on the next release of artwork.