The first astronauts are pretty much gone now...John Young was 87

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-astronaut-john-young-dies-at-age-87-nasa/ar-BBHWFj5?li

Credited as the only man to have flown Gemini, Apollo and Shuttle missions (and infamously for smuggling a corned beef sandwich into space to give to Gus Grissom), Young flew to the moon on Apollo 10 in a test run for the first landing and then landed on the moon, reaching the surface finally with Apollo 16 in 1972. He was commander of the first Space Shuttle flight in 1981 and a subsequent mission before the Challenger tragedy...he never returned to space after that.

His NASA career began in 1962 and lasted 23 years. He was an accomplish Navy pilot as well.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Believe this or not I bought my Fisher 500C from Tom Scott, David Scott's brother right here in Columbus Georgia. The tales he told me I would not have believed him if I had not seen the pictures on his walls. His dad was a General in WWII and flew with the US army before there was an Air Force. That is the best I recall anyway. He had pictures of them and John Wane and others on his walls. I was kind of stunned. Even more stunning is waht a nice guy Tom Scott is. He still contacts me two or three times a year. Always on Christmas and New Year. This was copied from Wikki:[TABLE="class: infobox vcard"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="class: role, colspan: 2, align: center"]NASA astronaut[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Nationality[/TH]
[TD]American[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Status[/TH]
[TD="class: category"]Retired[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Born[/TH]
[TD]David Randolph Scott
June 6, 1932 (age 85)
San Antonio, Texas, U.S.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH] Other occupation[/TH]
[TD="class: role"]Test pilot[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH] Alma mater[/TH]
[TD]University of Michigan
USMA, B.S. 1954
MIT, M.S. and E.A.A. 1962[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Rank[/TH]
[TD="class: title"]
Colonel, USAF[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: note"]
[TH] Time in space[/TH]
[TD]22d 18h 53m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Selection[/TH]
[TD]1963 NASA Group 3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH] Total EVAs[/TH]
[TD]5 (Stand up EVA on Apollo 9, 4 EVAs on Apollo 15: 1st EVA was a stand-up, while 3 EVAs were on the moon surface)[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH] Total EVA time[/TH]
[TD]20 hours 35 minutes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Missions[/TH]
[TD]Gemini 8, Apollo 9, Apollo 15[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I remember when the United States had a space program. We could even see the shuttle launches from our house in Florida.
When I was young, I'd take a TV set to school so the class could watch Apollo & Gemini launches & recoveries at sea.
Now we have to hitch a ride up with the Russian's.
WTF happened to us?

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
They made us rocketpool.