The Beast Is Back

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
It's getting late and I've got to be up early tomorrow to take the better half in for lithotripsy in the morning, so I'm just gonna copy my post over at TH's and upload a couple of pix. But yowsa, the Ampex was worth the wait and work.

HUGE thumbs up to Nakdoc at Hi-Tech Service in Nashvegas! Pretty sure he was ready to shoot me after recapping everything in the big Ampex ATR 700 I left with him a couple of months ago, but it was worth every mind-numbing minute. I just put on the Waylon Jennings mixtape I recorded a few months ago on the ReVox PR99 and just sat back and went wow! Especially the stuff I bumped over from the 180 gram "Goin'Down Rockin'" remix of his last few songs from 1999 with just his guitar, bass and vocals. Lots of air on that album, great feel for the instruments and his weary vocals and I now know that this tape got everything that was on the album.

Not sure what to attribute to what, but between the recapping and the relapped heads from John French at JRF Magnetics, this baby sings. Bass is not only more substantial, but tighter. Highs are extended beyond what was there pre-restoration (which my guess would be more attributable to the like-new heads), mids seem a bit more forward, which may be nothing more than a slight shift in EQ but it is like having the proverbial layer of gauze removed. I swore I'd never use that phrase but can't think of any other descriptor right now.

And it's purdy, now, too. Oak side panels do look good, if I say so myself.

Time to go record something.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It's getting late and I've got to be up early tomorrow to take the better half in for lithotripsy in the morning, so I'm just gonna copy my post over at TH's and upload a couple of pix. But yowsa, the Ampex was worth the wait and work.

HUGE thumbs up to Nakdoc at Hi-Tech Service in Nashvegas! Pretty sure he was ready to shoot me after recapping everything in the big Ampex ATR 700 I left with him a couple of months ago, but it was worth every mind-numbing minute. I just put on the Waylon Jennings mixtape I recorded a few months ago on the ReVox PR99 and just sat back and went wow! Especially the stuff I bumped over from the 180 gram "Goin'Down Rockin'" remix of his last few songs from 1999 with just his guitar, bass and vocals. Lots of air on that album, great feel for the instruments and his weary vocals and I now know that this tape got everything that was on the album.

Not sure what to attribute to what, but between the recapping and the relapped heads from John French at JRF Magnetics, this baby sings. Bass is not only more substantial, but tighter. Highs are extended beyond what was there pre-restoration (which my guess would be more attributable to the like-new heads), mids seem a bit more forward, which may be nothing more than a slight shift in EQ but it is like having the proverbial layer of gauze removed. I swore I'd never use that phrase but can't think of any other descriptor right now.

And it's purdy, now, too. Oak side panels do look good, if I say so myself.

Time to go record something.
Great looking machine Bob, very pretty.