The Aerosmith Boner

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
The Aerosmith Boner 700 series 1

This was viewed when opened after I had pm'd Lee that one of his Aerosmith amps showed notes with sticky tape on the chassis of A channel 157w and B channel 164w which is a little less then half what a working 700 puts out. Mind you this is an original first series 700. SO it would appear it was tested with only one capacitor running the whole amp??? The top blew off with sufficient pressure to push in the plate that separates the caps from the tranny and the caps are bolted through the plate LOL

I imagine a scenario where Tyler's is screaming Back in the Saddle when this amp decided to blow a cap like a boner through a pair of Duluth Firehose pants

I give you The Aerosmith Boner built by "Cathy"

I just can't get the nerve to toss it out, it has a story to tell of some sort and soon to be a legend destined for the Phase Linear Museum :iconbiggrin:

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
"...to blow a cap like a boner through a pair of Duluth Firehose pants".

Is that even possible? I mean we are talking Duluth here ... :laughing8:

Made me laugh nonetheless.

Good way to end the evening !

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Duluth Trading has some excellent commercials...

No need to reform that cap....

Northwinds

Tagline
You would not believe how close this was to a deadshort, can't believe the tech even got readings that showed operation albeit a quite bit short on horsepower. Never even took the cover off for testing?? Fuck bias right LMAO!!!! There was no spew in the chassis but this thing must have moved or shook if rackmounted when the top of the cap knocked that plate over. I feel the Earth... Move... Under My Feet, I See the Flames/stars...

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
This was viewed when opened after I had pm'd Lee that one of his Aerosmith amps showed notes with sticky tape on the chassis of A channel 157w and B channel 164w which is a little less then half what a working 700 puts out. Mind you this is an original first series 700. SO it would appear it was tested with only one capacitor running the whole amp??? The top blew off with sufficient pressure to push in the plate that separates the caps from the tranny and the caps are bolted through the plate LOL

I imagine a scenario where Tyler's is screaming Back in the Saddle when this amp decided to blow a cap like a boner through a pair of Duluth Firehose pants

I give you The Aerosmith Boner built by "Cathy"

I just can't get the nerve to toss it out, it has a story to tell of some sort and soon to be a legend destined for the Phase Linear Museum :iconbiggrin:

It appears that the image is no longer available?

Northwinds

Tagline
I will take another pic Ed, you saw it when you were here in the garage on the bookcase shelf. I must have been clearing images from one of my accounts

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
When you post from a URL, such as your photo host...

UNCHECK "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"

For some reason this command is as assbackwards as I am in vBulletin 4. It seems to do the opposite of what you think it says.

You will HOPEFULLY never have this problem again because it will be on OUR server, not referenced from THEIRS where photos go to die (retention limits).

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Phase Linear Power Supply Capacitors With High Failure Rates

Here are some brands of capacitors that come to mind that had a high failure rate used in Phase Linear amplifiers (models: 200, 400 and 700's).

Listed alphabetically:

1.) FAO 4,000uF 80VDC screw terminal (used in 200 series II's) approx. 1980
2.) FAO 5,900uF screw terminal (used in 400 series II's) approx. 1979-1980 NOTE: Carver also used FAO's in some C-500's
3.) STM 3,000uF 75VDC solder terminal (used in 200 series 1's) approx. 1974
4.) STM 9,800uF 100VDC screw terminal (used in 700 series 1's) approx. 1973
5.) Temple 5,900uF 85VDC solder terminal (used in 400 series 1's) approx. 1974

It must be noted that there were a fair number of other vendors Phase Linear used that they had much better success/reliability with.

Ed