That AV-1 is still singing sweet tunes

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
So tonight I'd figure .. what the heck...

I turned off the M-80 Yamaha, yanked the Nakamichi AV-1 off the shelf, and fed the Carver's pre-amp outputs to the Nak's main in (it has jumpers for all 5 channels, as it's a dolby 5.1 surround amp).

Nice and smooth... but full and robust at the same time. Dare I say it may just sound better than the Yamaha? I keep on praising that AV-1, and tonight just reinforced my impression of it. It has an amp section that was built right around the same period as when Nak was using the Stasis designs. Not quite a "Stasis" amp, but instead it has what Nak calls a "Harmonic Time Alignment" circuitry.

Seriously folks, if you can get an AV-1 on the cheap, check it out. The 100 watt rating is a big understatement methinks as well... :thumbright:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
It definitely is fun to take a stored or secondary piece of equipment and hook it up and then listen. It either reinforces that you primary amp is great, or it is sometimes better sounding than the gear it replaced. It is sort of like a new girl friend, I don't know if she is better than the old one but the newest is definitely a strong attraction. :rabbit: