Talk to me about MC and Step-Up Transformers.

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Never had an MC cart and the Denon DL-103 seems to be a universally agreed upon as good.
I get that you don't buy replacement styli, not something I want to focus on, just the aspects of the sonic benefits.

The Bellari VP-130 I have has been decent, they make the MT502 step up transformer, which looks like something worth getting in an upgrade path. I like the idea of getting gain this way, seems sensible.

Then there is the Jolida JD9 which has a ton of adjustablity, and is well reviewed. MC gain is not done by transformers. Bonus, it would look good with my integrated.

I like to get a little something on tax return. Seems like this would be an actual upgrade, more so then getting a new TT (Technics SL-1800). A Denon cart and step up transformer sounds doable for around $600.

I thought of getting a cleaning machine, but spending the money on that is a lot less exciting.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Never had an MC cart and the Denon DL-103 seems to be a universally agreed upon as good.
I get that you don't buy replacement styli, not something I want to focus on, just the aspects of the sonic benefits.

The Bellari VP-130 I have has been decent, they make the MT502 step up transformer, which looks like something worth getting in an upgrade path. I like the idea of getting gain this way, seems sensible.

Then there is the Jolida JD9 which has a ton of adjustablity, and is well reviewed. MC gain is not done by transformers. Bonus, it would look good with my integrated.

I like to get a little something on tax return. Seems like this would be an actual upgrade, more so then getting a new TT (Technics SL-1800). A Denon cart and step up transformer sounds doable for around $600.

I thought of getting a cleaning machine, but spending the money on that is a lot less exciting.
From all my reading. For me I would think of a H/O MC. No MC amp needed. There are starting to be MMs that are equal to a MC. The thinking is why pay for another amp when you can use your MM amp and get very good sound. If you can put the money for an amp to the cart what are you going to do? You know when you step up you are going to see flaws in your system you have never heard before. Today my thinking is this. Take your money and buy a very nice tube amp. Keep what you have as a TT setup. Get the base of a nice system started. If you have found fault with your base components then start there.

speakerman1

Tagline
Would you like to try my Goldring? Chloba may sell you the one he didn't like. Ask him if you can try it. When you start getting into the higher end carts. I would say try it before you buy it. Would you like to try the Stanton.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
So anyway, I can hear enough through the system to tell if there is something I'm not liking on the front end.

Which is why I want to upgrade it.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I don't have to get MC, I just don't know a lot about it or the differences. Wondering good/bad

speakerman1

Tagline
I wasn't trying to dissuade from getting one. Just trying to explain. Or suggest that if you get one it will show the faults of the other components. I'm just thinking if you get one it will sound better But you will hear other things that you haven't heard before and blame the cart. For you I keep thinking about 300B amps. Low power but great sound.