System Shortcomings

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Just like people well my systems have shortcomings. My Epos had very good definition ; but lacked in the bass area for me. The only thing I could do was put a sub in. I knew this but didn't want to do it. You can't expect the sound of a 10 inch woofer out of a 6 inch woofer. By bi-wiring them I did get more bass out of them.

The latest short coming is noise. Well hiss. Not out of all components. Just out of 2. The only thing I know to do is get rid of those components. On the deck I'm not going to NR. I'm going to try another deck and see. I ran a 1200 for 3 years and it started to give me hiss. Will be going to the SE I bought awhile back and see.

On my Hafler pre I am getting cross talk on some inputs. Not all just some. It needs work. Other than that it is dead silent. On most inputs.

I do alot of things that people think I am crazy. Maybe I am. Everything I do do is for a reason though. I am finding out when you start going up in your components. The shortcomings become more pronounced. It is sort of like chasing your tail.

I put this in acc. for a reason. There are certain ways to help your system that doesn't cost thousands of dollars. Like changing a cart. on your TT. Rolling tubes in your tube components. Speakers and older SS gear. Changing caps.

Also tilting your speakers to get them in the correct phase with each other. You can tune with wires also. This is a long drawn out process. It may take years to get where you want to go. You have to honest with yourself though. We are all different in our wants and needs. We are different in certain ways. If it sounds good to you that is good.

I have been accused of being a snob. LOL NAH I'm not. I started some where and I am trying to go somewhere else. I worked in an industry that the words it is good enough never were said. So will I be satisfied. In all honesty probably not. I just pick and choose how I get there. Some things takes me a long time to get. I still want some B&Ws. The day will come.

It is just like life. We all have different destinations and we go down different paths. Are they wrong? Nope as long as YOU are going where you want to go.

Larry

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Some men buy big things to compensate for their short comings. I don't understand it myself :cyclops: , but that's what I hear.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Geri agrees (she's asleep right now): I drive big cars, and one of them is a 2.2 ton station wagon.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I have big speakers and big racks, but that's to make them similiar to my other traits.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I'm just not speculating on any aspect of that, you know.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
:wwoutpics:

I know what the short comings with my system are. But it is nice to be able to sit down, relax and enjoy music. Fretting over differences and component comparisons keeps music enjoyment at bay.

I remember reading in Robert Harleys book, about how he was reviewing the best components that the world had to offer, realizing breath-taking engineering prowess, and yet, found that he wasn't enjoying music until he got in his car and listened to music there.

What an interesting dichotomy, and yet I have experienced the very same thing many times in the past myself before.

Some where along the line, it is good to find enjoyment and satisfaction in some things, so that we can enjoy more of what life has to offer.

Now I'm not saying I don't want to make improvements in my system, but I did achieve the goal of listen-ability that I've been seeking for several years now. So now my goal is to listen to music. I have been, and it's been a pleasure that I don't think I've had since I was a kid, when the music itself was all that really mattered.

speakerman1 said:
It is just like life. We all have different destinations and we go down different paths. Are they wrong? Nope as long as YOU are going where you want to go.

Larry
Agreed. But some people are led down paths they think is best because they don't know any better.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
My fondest time spent listening to tunes was in my car. I admit to buying every new Pioneer Component piece which debuted between 1978 and the mid-80s. There is no better environment, or fantasy-tripping experience than hearing the latest release on pre-recorded cassette through a multiple-amp, multiple-speaker system, like the one I built for my Buick. This was before (by about a decade) the advent of manufacturer automotive killer-systems. Still have most of my old gear, but I'm just not into modifying the car to build another comparable system. I bought two Pioneer TOTL car stereo components as late as 2000, one of which I use regularly in the downstairs bedroom by using a regulated DC power supply.

Nando.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I used to have quite a fondness of car audio, sold tons, installed a little. The truth of the matter is, I'm referring to just enjoying a good tune in a stock car audio system, plain Jane. It happens, and you can forget how crappy the system truly is. Especially when your driving down the road with your wife and you hear a familiar tune, singing together, laughing together and enjoying each other.

I would think, an artist would much rather have people enjoy thier music in such a way, rather then to spend a lifetime trying to improve the sound of it. It's the experiences that makes music so wonderful, and the best we can hope for are those precious moments.