Stylus microscope

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I've been wanting to have a way to check the stylus on my phono cartridge, but didn't want to pop for a microscope, and today I found the answer...
Kay Jewelers in the mall.
They have a really nice stereoscopic microscope sitting right on their counter that is tailor made to view styli, and they said no problem if I want to bring my stylus in.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's just not right from a woman's perspective. How is your lady to know you aren't looking over jewellery in the store. She will have a flip this Christmas when she finds out you've only been bringing phono cartridges into the jeweller for periodic inspections.

Nando.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
A diamond is a diamond. Some don't do any work and just hang on the body, others can be used to play records.

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
That's just not right from a woman's perspective. How is your lady to know you aren't looking over jewellery in the store. She will have a flip this Christmas when she finds out you've only been bringing phono cartridges into the jeweller for periodic inspections.

Nando.
LMAO, Nando! It so happens that today is our anniversary and we were at the mall last night to get our rings checked and cleaned for the warranty...I didn't say anything, but if I had she would have appreciated that I wasn't blowing money on something only used occasionally. The cool thing about Sue is that she's practical, she loves music and more than that she loves seeing me happy. She just wants money to be used in the most pragmatic way, like me. In fact, she wants to buy my Dahlquist subwoofers for me for a gift. I'm one lucky guy...we're both in our 60's and had been in bad, bad marriages for years before we got free and met each other (on Christian Mingle). Today is our second anniversary.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Dave: Happy Anniversary to both of you! Your wife sounds wonderful. Look around - I think there are a number of our wives or girlfriends (or both) who pretty well embrace the hobby we are in. I'm suspicious - as that can only mean something more meaningful is afoot - as long as we are tied up in this hobby there's less chance for any other scurrilous activities by us men. Kidding aside, I think the opportunity to have the styli checked at the jewellers is a thought that hadn't crossed my mind. It's a great idea.

In the small town I live in, I couldn't do that because word would certainly get around and Geri would be expecting something real glittery under the tree this year. Not that I don't owe her. I might give her a mix tape, instead..........and a ring.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
And an evening sitting on the bed getting your hair parted by a WOPL.....

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I know I'm bumping an old thread- and it seems that I've been doing it a lot.

Go to a flea market and look for an old 8mm windup movie camera with a "D" mount lens. You will know it's a "D" mount because it will unscrew from the camera body. Use the wide angle lens- 13mm focal length or less. Use it as a jeweler's loupe.