Starting WOPL 400 Finally!

timmydawg

New Around These Parts
Ready to get this 400 up and running, This is my first WOPL so it seemed to take forever to read, research and try to understand what I am doing. I have tried to emulate what others have done and I appreciate the fine craftsmanship that I am attempting to copy. I tested for shorts to chassis so I am on to step # 12, Wish me luck !
IMG_1799.JPG

timmydawg

New Around These Parts
Voltage check B+ 80V, B- 80v , now on to the bottom row of transistors.
Does anyone use the 10" T handle Allen wrench? It seems like the length keeps me from applying to much torque on the bolts, hopefully just the right amount. I was having problems with the lamp socket on my Dim bulb tester, I will have to change that out before continuing. IMG_1801.JPG

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Voltage check B+ 80V, B- 80v , now on to the bottom row of transistors.
Does anyone use the 10" T handle Allen wrench? It seems like the length keeps me from applying to much torque on the bolts, hopefully just the right amount. I was having problems with the lamp socket on my Dim bulb tester, I will have to change that out before continuing. View attachment 83058

Even at 5-6 inch Lbs that T-handle can still be too much.

timmydawg

New Around These Parts
I found that out the hard way yesterday, installed the bottom row and as I applied voltage the dim bulb was not dimming . I pulled the transistors back out and noticed one of the Sil pads had been cut right on the rhombus ,so today I will be smoothing the edges and installing with a much lighter touch.

George S.

Couple points
A very fine touch is needed when snugging up the output screws.
To facilitate this, I run a sharp tap though the soldered in nuts to chase the threads after soldering.. And, I very lightly grease the threads of the screws.
I want the threads clean and very lightly lubricated.
We'd like to think that that outputs are perfectly flat to a thousand inch, but they're not.
So, slowly and evenly snug them down until the siil-pad begins to curl or wrinkle on the protruding edge, then stop,
I get my eyes as close as possible, and use a magnifying headset to precisely do this.
A T-handle is very capable of over tightening the screws and making the outputs even less flat .
A very fine touch is needed.
I cut the tip off a old Phillips screwdriver, drilled and pressed a Allen key shank into the end of it

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I found that out the hard way yesterday, installed the bottom row and as I applied voltage the dim bulb was not dimming . I pulled the transistors back out and noticed one of the Sil pads had been cut right on the rhombus ,so today I will be smoothing the edges and installing with a much lighter touch.

Draw them down evenly too. I've never had to smooth the edges of an output (and I've done a bunch).

timmydawg

New Around These Parts
George & Sniff,
Thank you,
I did catch your suggestion on running a tap through the Pem nuts as I was finishing up on the boards,
and was quite surprised at the amount of metal shavings that it produced. I totally forgot to lube the threads, definitely my bad on that.
And drawing them down evenly just like torqueing down a head is an important part of the process as well.
I guess I was so concerned about the bring up procedure not having much electronics background that I whiffed on the mechanical aspect which should be one of my strengths.
Since I used a Dim bulb should the outputs still be good? I checked them on my meter with the diode function & hopefully that's how to test them they seemed to have comparable values .

timmydawg

New Around These Parts
Back at it today, I wired up the control board , checked voltages , set bias and everything seems good but when I powered down and was going to discharge the bulk caps they were all ready discharged. WTF - I noticed that I had not hooked up the ground so I tried again and checked voltages on the caps and they were about 77.5V at 120V AC . And as soon as I turned power off the bulk caps immediately discharged down to about 1.5 V
Is this normal or is something wonky going on???

Attachments

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Back at it today, I wired up the control board , checked voltages , set bias and everything seems good but when I powered down and was going to discharge the bulk caps they were all ready discharged. WTF - I noticed that I had not hooked up the ground so I tried again and checked voltages on the caps and they were about 77.5V at 120V AC . And as soon as I turned power off the bulk caps immediately discharged down to about 1.5 V
Is this normal or is something wonky going on???
Typical for the voltage to decay once the amp is assembled.

The control board linear regulators provide a load and discharge the main bulk caps, along with output bias current.