Spec-2

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
He says if the PS caps aren't venting he-'ll leave them in.....be idea...

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
YUP, once they start VENTING, you got about 3 microseconds to shut down and change them before catastrophic failure. We can do it..... NOT

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If they only replace FAILED items, who want's that service. That shit will fail down the road and then I'd say... Why didn't they replace ALL the electrolyics... or Why did they replace only ONE output transistor???? BS man

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was reading a thread on another site this morning and about a month ago, this guy takes in a piece of gear which is about 40 years old, the shop fixes what he ASKED to get fixed, now, he posts that the shop he brought it to sucks because it failed a month later. NOT even for what he bought it in for. This is the prime reason I do NOT fix these amps... They either get a full blown gut job, or I wont touch them. It may seem like bullshit to some of you but that's what happens. These guys bring it in for light bulbs or some shit, and then when an output or a cap blows up because IT'S OLD SHIT.... They bad mouth you... So, I do nothing but total rebuilds on my amps. Pre amps are a different story... They don't gobble up power and they don't get beat up on like the top of the food chain (the amplifier). I always laugh when I see these guys say they will rebuild your gear for $399.... Shit...... You won't stay in bidness for long when the dumbasses start whining because you replace their motor, and then the transmission blows up (not directed at you Jer :) )........... oh well.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I've restored a few Spec 2's and they take a LOT OF PARTS..the meter drive board needs all new caps and small signal transiustors. The amp drive boards require the same thing, along with new bias interrupt relays. The originals are NLA and a sub has to be glued to the board on it's back and point to point wired in...
A Spec 2 restoration takes a lot of work, I would not do one for 399.00.....