Speaker wire

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
How are you going to hook up the 4 speaks?? Series or parallel? .either way you only need 4 conductors over that 80 ft, then short feeders to the other pair..I have some 10-4 SO for 50 cents a foot plus shipping....very h I gh strand count,,, good stuff.

Tagline
---
How are you going to hook up the 4 speaks?? Series or parallel? .either way you only need 4 conductors over that 80 ft, then short feeders to the other pair..I have some 10-4 SO for 50 cents a foot plus shipping....very h I gh strand count,,, good stuff.
Lee,
I had planned on running them in parallel. What I am planning on doing is either building or buying a set of Cornscalas with 16 ohm drivers so it is easier on the amplifier, although thinking about it if they were wired in series with 8 ohm drivers the amplifier would see the same load, correct? I will send you a message on the speaker wire. That is a good deal as the other wire I was looking at was just under $1.00 a foot. Is there any disadvantage to wiring the speakers in series? In the past I have always run everything in parallel. I will do some research as I know their are advantages and disadvantages each way. The bottom line is I want the best for the amp and speakers so they will last as long as possible. I don't mind spending the money to do it the correct way, I like to buy nice things and take care of them and have them last. I was not thinking about wiring them the way you mentioned but that would save quite a bit of wire and I would only have to make 2 long runs. The other could go from speaker to speaker.(if I am understanding correctly). Thanks man I appreciate the advice.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Let's say you have two pairs of 8 ohm speaks, in parallel the amp will see a 4 ohm load. In series the amp will see a 16 ohm load and lose a lot of control over the woofs. So it's a tradeoff one way or another. Nothing wrong with a 4 ohm load, forced cooling over the heatsinks,...

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Let's say you have two pairs of 8 ohm speaks, in parallel the amp will see a 4 ohm load. In series the amp will see a 16 ohm load and lose a lot of control over the woofs. So it's a tradeoff one way or another. Nothing wrong with a 4 ohm load, forced cooling over the heatsinks,...
Great advise there! Also, the shorter the speaker wire run the better. Wire from the pre to the amp is less of a problem unless your amp doesn't like low capasitance from the preamp. Amp near the speakers with high quality wire is much better for sound!!

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I don't htink there will be a cheap way to do it, my theory was that two runs of RCAs would be cheaper than four runs of 10 gauge speaker wire. Turn on/turn off?? maybe a switched 120V outlet with the switch near your system.

Looks like you will need to spend some coin on speaker wire.

I'm still using my "Clap On-Clap Off" Works great.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Lee,
I had planned on running them in parallel. What I am planning on doing is either building or buying a set of Cornscalas with 16 ohm drivers so it is easier on the amplifier, although thinking about it if they were wired in series with 8 ohm drivers the amplifier would see the same load, correct? I will send you a message on the speaker wire. That is a good deal as the other wire I was looking at was just under $1.00 a foot. Is there any disadvantage to wiring the speakers in series? In the past I have always run everything in parallel. I will do some research as I know their are advantages and disadvantages each way. The bottom line is I want the best for the amp and speakers so they will last as long as possible. I don't mind spending the money to do it the correct way, I like to buy nice things and take care of them and have them last. I was not thinking about wiring them the way you mentioned but that would save quite a bit of wire and I would only have to make 2 long runs. The other could go from speaker to speaker.(if I am understanding correctly). Thanks man I appreciate the advice.
I just voided your WOPL Warranty... I moved out of the country.... Damn.....

Tagline
---
I just voided your WOPL Warranty... I moved out of the country.... Damn.....
Gonna put that baby to the test, you aren't losing faith in the Zoebel networks are you? Clap on Clap off? What is this?
Promise I will be monitoring temperatures at all times, I was looking at the fan set up meant for pc's that has monitors, looks like a slick system!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Gonna put that baby to the test, you aren't losing faith in the Zoebel networks are you? Clap on Clap off? What is this?
Promise I will be monitoring temperatures at all times, I was looking at the fan set up meant for pc's that has monitors, looks like a slick system!
If Lee and Ron say it's good, I'm ever faithful. If you run cornscala's, they are so efficient that they'll give your amp a break..... Trevor, if you don't like the cornscala's, I'll buy them from you.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The K's are efficient too, but at concert levels things heat up quickly, I run fans at hi volumes...

Tagline
---
Here ya go bud. The wire you get would be cleaner....
Lee is this all single wire or dial wire application? I found a 500 ft roll of 10 guage copper CL2 for $250 and I can take back what I don't use from a local stereo shop. However I have not seen this wire in person so I need to check and see if it is multi strand copper and not some cheap imitation crap and then I will get back to you. Thanks for posting the pictures and what would be the longest continuous roll of wire you are able to get?

Tagline
---
If Lee and Ron say it's good, I'm ever faithful. If you run cornscala's, they are so efficient that they'll give your amp a break..... Trevor, if you don't like the cornscala's, I'll buy them from you.
Perry,everything I read about the Cornscalas are impressive! Really wanting to give them a try. Also looking into another Klipsch speaker that has very similar specs but not the Khorns as my corners will not work. We will see what pans out.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
There are 4 separate #10 conductors in the cable. That's what SO cord is....fine strand, very flexible....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Almost every power tool ever made has SO cord on if used o a jobsite. How long do you need?

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I think that is what Clair Brothers did when they hung the amp along with the speaker stacks to keep the speaker wire loss in control.

Last edited: