Sound card

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
When burning a disk from a file does the sound card have anything to do with it? When copying from a file to a cassette does it have anything to do with it?

Thanks
Larry

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
When burning a disk, no. The file is either taken straight or converted to CD format, and then written to the CD.

When going from computer the cassette, yes. The file has to be converted to analog via the sound card.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hi Larry,
If you were doing master work then I would specify a high grade of card with low noise. But if the purpose is for tape duplication especially high speed, then any card should do.
Just considering the end result in my figuring. We used a lot of Echo MIA cards back a ways. We now use Delta 44 type cards that seem to work pretty good in broadcasting. I know, broadcasting another poor end result media- yes, but at least it sounds good here plus we are transmitting HD these days as well as Streaming.

DolbySProject

New Around These Parts
Skywavebe said:
...if the purpose is for tape duplication especially high speed, then any card should do.
:lol: Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :lol:

I was seriously contemplating an M-Audio Audiophile 192 card at one time. It would have been a step up from the Creative Labs Audigy. But, that was only for playback of high res files from 16/48 to 24/192 on the main system or transferring the same, in real time, to R2R or high quality cassette.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
DolbySProject said:
I was seriously contemplating an M-Audio Audiophile 192 card at one time. It would have been a step up from the Creative Labs Audigy. But, that was only for playback of high res files from 16/48 to 24/192 on the main system or transferring the same, in real time, to R2R or high quality cassette.
I'm using the Audiophile 24/92 as strictly an analog output section with a Fatality Titanium feeding it via 96k sampling. Really nice sound coming out.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I remember when the BANDS had interesting names!

(Like Moby Grape, 1910 Fruitgum Co. or A Flock Of Seagulls)

I'm not sure I could tell them I'm listening to a Fatality!

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
jbeckva said:
DolbySProject said:
I'm using the Audiophile 24/92 as strictly an analog output section with a Fatality Titanium feeding it via 96k sampling. Really nice sound coming out.
Please explain. If I'm coming off a WAV file to do a download to disc. Would the sound card make a difference.

Another scenario. Coming straight off the computer to a cassette. The master needs to be high grade. Even when doing high speed dubs what goes in will help on the sound in. I want great master tapes. I'm going to be known as doing all chrome dubs. At some time I have to get a duplicator that will do type II but that is very far down the road.

One more question should I get an outboard card?

Thanks
Larry

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
speakerman1 said:
Please explain. If I'm coming off a WAV file to do a download to disc. Would the sound card make a difference.

Another scenario. Coming straight off the computer to a cassette. The master needs to be high grade. Even when doing high speed dubs what goes in will help on the sound in. I want great master tapes. I'm going to be known as doing all chrome dubs. At some time I have to get a duplicator that will do type II but that is very far down the road.

Thanks
Larry
The key difference between your two scenarios is that in the "computer to cassette" one, conversion from digital to analog is being performed. In that case, yes, a high quality sound card that provides top notch D/A would be in order.

But with just transferring wave file to CD, no, since the source and destination remain "digitial". In that case, the software you're using "may" make a difference, but not likely. As long as the translation from source to destination digital format is decent.

Hmmm... on external versus internal.. hmmm... I prefer internal, but external does have an advantage of less probable interference with an external power supply. But there are internal cards that seem to do a pretty good job anyway. I could (and have) use the analog output of my M-Audio as a direct pre-out into my power amp, for example. The SNR is that good.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
speakerman1 said:

Thanks
Larry

If you are just copying the file from the computer to the disc your sound card is not involved in that transfer. If you are recording it live as it happens the input through the card means it is involved but other hardware/software will be doing the transfer.

Some mothererboards have known interference issues either with the onboard audio or working with cards. Consult the FAQs for your board at the website.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
My favorite sound card for a PC was an ISA bus card from Digital Audio Labs called CardD. It just had a very musical sound to it. A long story short, a power spike wiped out the PC, audio cards, multiple hard drives and months of work. Huge bummer to say the least.

After that experience I bought a Lynx card for the PCI bus. It's a fine card but just doesn't have the musical sound quality of the CardD. I have not looked at cards in 4-5 years so no idea what to buy at the moment.

To me most of the Sound Blaster type cards are just noise makers for those with no hearing rather than true audio (music) cards.

For editing I used Sonic Foundry (now Sony :( ) Sound Forge..... BTW, there are some public domain editing programs that look very nice for next to zero cost.

Robert

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
rtp_burnsville said:
To me most of the Sound Blaster type cards are just noise makers for those with no hearing rather than true audio (music) cards.

For editing I used Sonic Foundry (now Sony :( ) Sound Forge..... BTW, there are some public domain editing programs that look very nice for next to zero cost.

Robert
Yep, I agree... I am always going back to my M-Audio 24/96 pretty much. Right now tho I'm using an EMU 0404 PCIe that is feeding a set of Audio Alchemy (DTI and DAC) interfaces. I've also fed the 24/96 directly to my Yamaha M80 with no preamp, and it was that quiet (I always double and triple checked the level tho before turning the amp on.. ).

I use Goldwave as my editor. Does pretty much everything I need it to do. :thumbright:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Finally, someone that talks Jer's language!!!!

double and triple checked the level tho before turning the amp on.. ).

Specially with tubes.