Sony X7ESD

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Here's the sordid story on this CDP:

While checking with our Squamish Mini-Flea Market about a collection of car audio 8-track players about to be unpacked from storage and be put up for viewing, I began speaking with a young kid in his 20's about some gear he was about to demo. I helped him hook up the Jana integrated amplifier with a few speaker leads to some small speakers to test the amp out. I, also, hooked up a CDP to the amp with two RCA cables to use as a source component. The first set of RCA cables didn't work, or so I thought, until I later realized I had to correctly select the analog, rather than the digital button on the CDP, to get any sound output from the CDP. It turns out he wasn't interested in the amplifier at all, as it was only 185 wpc. He was looking for something in the neighborhood of about five times that in power rating. So, he left the whole works on the table. I couldn't stop staring at the CDP. I realized when moving the components around there was some serious heft to this Sony CDP, as it certainly weighed more than the Jana amplifier. Both of these units had been donated by the local bar/hotel when the hotel had changed ownership and a new sound system was installed. The OP, as it had been called, was due for a major facelift, and the new managers wanted to improve the decor and move their format beyond the regular exotic dancers on stage once a week. I'm surprised, now, there wasn't an AC/DC disc in the player when I first opened the CD tray.

This Sony X7ESD needs cosmetics badly, since it's damaged on both wood-engineered side panels and bottom of the front face plate. I find it quite endearing to hear this unit play, knowing what a hard life it must have had. If only the stories it could tell!

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Hi Lee,

For now, I've been using only RCA cables to test it. I may use this CDP as the test mule for the loaner Tara Lab cables from Larry. And it will sound even better through coaxial cable or optic cable, I presume. I need to spend more time listening to it, to actually convey what I hear and like about the sound into words. This machine at $30 is one of those scores that has me thinking I will spend some time looking for good to excellent condition wood panels, repaint the top cover, find a remote control, and have Innovative Audio go through it. I can see me using this Sony in my system, regularly. I'm a sucker for copper chassis components and at over 37 lbs., you just know this unit was built to last and outdo the competitors for sound quality.

Perhaps, John (Web Police) could offer more info on this CDP, as he has an outstanding collection of Sony ES components.

Nando.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
That model wasn't made long before they went back to different DACs. It is a 2000.00 CDP new. It has the Burr-Browns in it. It is a nice CDP.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Definately a sleeper then. How does it compare to your Pioneer??

Elite-ist

Staff member
It's better sounding than my Pioneer Elite PD-F19 sitting in the rack, right now. And that's without cleaning the lens on the Sony, or doing any other checks. I had been using a Pioneer laser disc player as my CDP before using the PD-F19. I use a Pioneer Reference Series CLD-95 in my home entertainment system in the living room. It's, probably, more in the same league as the Sony X7ESD.

Nando.

speakerman1

Tagline
If you go with a digital out you will need an external DAC. The sample rate on your CDP is 18. So there is room for improvement.

Larry

Elite-ist

Staff member
speakerman1 said:
If you go with a digital out you will need an external DAC. The sample rate on your CDP is 18. So there is room for improvement.

Larry
Hi Larry,

I can use my Pioneer Elite SP-99D Sound Field Processor to increase my options and flexibility. The SP-99D has both optical and coaxial inputs for two digital source components, and can be patched in ahead of my Pioneer Elite C-72 preamplifier. From the SP-99D I can use up to three separate amplifiers for: front right and left channels, rear right and left channels and a centre channel (which I'll skip). Then I can hook up and additional amplifier for dual sub-woofers (which I'll skip).

I won't be doing this for some time, but it sure makes things interesting down the road, as the sound processing ability of the Elite SP-99D will be fun to play with.

Nando.

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
I always liked Sony ES products and owned a few less expensive pieces. Last player I had that was built nearly as nice as your Sony would have been an old Denon I had. It was in such terrible cosmetic shape but sounded really nice. My first attempt to replace it with a Cambridge Audio, cheap CD player which could not better it in anyway other then looks.

speakerman1

Tagline
Why Pioneer? There are alot of nice CDPs out there that are reasonable. We had a bunch of Onix CDPs and from reviews they are a very good CDP for their time. I may consider mine which is a Onix CD 1 and a I forget CD2. If lee gets it fixed. LOL A mind is a terrible thing to waste. LOL

Larry

Elite-ist

Staff member
Does an Onyx weigh 37.5 lbs.? I choose Pioneer products because I'm predictably biased towards their line. Aesthetically, the Pioneer Elite CDP matches the rest of my Elite components on the stand. Sometimes looks are important. If I could shake off my bias towards Pioneer components it would likely be an ear opener for me. So, I just take little steps, for now.

This Sony X7ESD might look rough on the outside, but I'll manage to dress it up, later.

Joe, it's hard to believe a newer CDP wouldn't kick butt over an older Denon. But, even the newer Sony ES CDPs, available now, don't have the build quality of the Top Tier ES models from the 80's.

Nando.

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Nando I know what you mean. The Denon was old and beefy, sounded great. I returned the cambidge immediately, which was the beginning of my suspicion of "budget audiophile" components vs used. The money is all in power supply and quality analog output stages. That's why the nicest ones tend to be heavy, but you already know.