Sony Walkman motor buzzing fixing

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
Hello!

I had bought 5-6 years ago a bpc Sony Walkman (WM-FX407) very cheap because it needed a new belt. Since I serviced it (there's nothing fancy you can do with these models - cleaning - lubrication - belt - speed correction) it's working fine. The only problem I found is some motor buzzing at the headphones when I use it with rechargeable batteries or when the alkaline are worn out. In other words, when it gets lower than 3V, it buzzes. Not something huge but when I use type II and Dolby B it's quite heard. I thought it was a capacitor going bad but this model has only two electrolytics and replacing them didn't improved the buzzing. Grounding the motor didn't helped. So, I left it as it was.

Fast forward, a few days ago, I bought an other bpc Aiwa portable (HS-JS445) in non working condition (the known belt + an elco going bad) and I was impressed with the quietness of the sound. No buzzing at all. I remembered the Sony and I was furious to find a solution; and I found it.

Well... the solution was very very expensive for Sony to had implemented it at first place......

I put an electrolytic 100μf at the power supply and the buzzing went away. No negative impact at the sound (and how a capacitor at the battery terminals could impact the sound?).

I think this cap can't be harmful in any way...

What I can't think out is why Sony didn't placed this cap at first place or any other motor filtering. I know, cost cutting. But, c'mon, it's a simple capacitor....

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Hi, noticed the same issue on the FX475 I've used back then in high school.
It seems like the motor control circuit doesn't like low voltages.
That's why I always used powerful alkalines, lasted a week in the Walkman and still enough power to play with the GameBoy for 2 or 3 weeks.

Makymak

Journeyman
If we were talking about some serious models, yes.

But this plastic crap has only two caps, none of them being at the signal path, neither at the power supply. Not a single trace of noise filtering for the motor other than what its driver ic provides internally. And ofcourse there is no motor grounding by design...

Go figure, the Sony being a Dolby B deck, there is no way to adjust the levels. They are predefined by design... The Aiwa is worse at this aspect, since it is also a recorder (God help make it a recorder) but at least Aiwa has a noise filter AND grounds...

Makymak

Journeyman
An '80s Aiwa should be indeed decent enough, not to say excellent.

The above Aiwa and Sony are of mid-late' 90s. Read their specs and cry... The Aiwa fr is 26Hz - 8kHz @ ±5 dB for type I and reaches the magnificent... 10kHz for type II and IV! W&f is something above 0.5% peak (I suspect something about 0.2 - 0.25% din).
The recording part is worse. It uses a permanent magnet for erasing but surprisingly it is ac bias. But the magnet induces such a noise that makes it suitable only for speaking recordings...

The Sony is similar, though it's not a recorder (thank God!!!)...

Ofcourse they have their pros but sound wise they are mediocre.