Something Smells Fishy

Des_Lab

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Just for the record. I am not outright accusing anyone of anything dishonest or unethical. But it sure LOOKS suspicious. So am I implying a less than honest seller here? Maybe. I don't know the whole story. I can only postulate based on the available facts. And I'd like to get your thoughts.

So. With that said. Tell me what you think of this.

On July 27th, this listing for a customized Teac X-2000R ended. The final bid price was a mere $615. If the description is to be believed at face value, then this seller got hosed on it big time. What I found particularly interesting was that it was worded and structured in such a way that the seller was hoping or intending to set up a bidding war. Note that it was a "private" listing where no one can see who the bidders are. Not even the standard ones that scramble and obscure the ID's but leave the feedback score visible, which with a little detective work, you can usually figure out who it is.

Three days later, what appears to be the exact same deck is relisted. Same pictures. And similar description. Also, for the record, I did not do a line by line review of the narratives to check for changes, but a cursory glance suggests that it's unchanged.

Only this time, the auction format was ended and it was listed with a stratospheric $5000/BIN.

So two questions.

One, what are the odds of there being two of these exact same decks with the exact same history, service, modifications, and appearance?

Two: Anyone else thinks this looks kind of suspicious? I suspect-but again-have no proof-that the first auction bit the seller badly. Most likely one of two things happened: Either A) there was some shilling going on and the seller was his own highest bidder (again see the 'private' listing setup and attempt to start a feeding frenzy). Or B) the seller didn't get the price he was fishing for and gave the buyer some BS story about it being broken, out of town, or whatever. And backed out because he didn't want to lose his butt.

There is the third possibility of C) the winning bidder decided to back out. But I can't imagine why. Since that deck, if the description is accurate, would be a steal for $600. No one in their right mind would let that get away.

Thoughts?

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Just for the record. I am not outright accusing anyone of anything dishonest or unethical. But it sure LOOKS suspicious. So am I implying a less than honest seller here? Maybe. I don't know the whole story. I can only postulate based on the available facts. And I'd like to get your thoughts.

So. With that said. Tell me what you think of this.

On July 27th, this listing for a customized Teac X-2000R ended. The final bid price was a mere $615. If the description is to be believed at face value, then this seller got hosed on it big time. What I found particularly interesting was that it was worded and structured in such a way that the seller was hoping or intending to set up a bidding war. Note that it was a "private" listing where no one can see who the bidders are. Not even the standard ones that scramble and obscure the ID's but leave the feedback score visible, which with a little detective work, you can usually figure out who it is.

Three days later, what appears to be the exact same deck is relisted. Same pictures. And similar description. Also, for the record, I did not do a line by line review of the narratives to check for changes, but a cursory glance suggests that it's unchanged.

Only this time, the auction format was ended and it was listed with a stratospheric $5000/BIN.

So two questions.

One, what are the odds of there being two of these exact same decks with the exact same history, service, modifications, and appearance?

Two: Anyone else thinks this looks kind of suspicious? I suspect-but again-have no proof-that the first auction bit the seller badly. Most likely one of two things happened: Either A) there was some shilling going on and the seller was his own highest bidder (again see the 'private' listing setup and attempt to start a feeding frenzy). Or B) the seller didn't get the price he was fishing for and gave the buyer some BS story about it being broken, out of town, or whatever. And backed out because he didn't want to lose his butt.

There is the third possibility of C) the winning bidder decided to back out. But I can't imagine why. Since that deck, if the description is accurate, would be a steal for $600. No one in their right mind would let that get away.

Thoughts?
I think you have assessed the situation correctly. Seller was hoping for a bidding war and did not get it. Shill pulled him out of the hole and he relisted.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Just how many X-2000R's could he have, anyway? Yes, call the bluff with Trust and Security.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Most likely the seller backed out of the sale. If he'd been shilling the listing himself to cover his ass, you'd have seen all those bids made by the July 27th bidder (shill?) continue to the end of the listing. Of course the July 23rd bidder could be the shill with a high enough bid to block the under-bidders.
Again, eBay's skill algorithms have been maturing for more than 12 years. They're pretty good at catching shill bidding. Did you know that technically, shill bidding is a Class D felony? It's considered fraud.
eBay won't allow a seller to end/cancel a listing in the last 12 hours. The seller still runs the risk of getting a negative FB comment from the winning bidder. The new listing is a fishing expedition. Looks like the seller has realized his mistake and is fishing for offers till he gets one he likes.

Des_Lab

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Then if that's the case, I offered $625 with the following message attached:

"Offering ten over last legitimate known bid from when this listing last closed on 7/27. Will also pickup local to save expense and hassle of packing and shipping".

-And see what he says. This would be a six hour drive for me (three there, three back). But would be worth it just on the cost of shipping alone.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
My RT-707 doesn't brake very well. Add to that an RT-909, two Teac 2340s. Revox A 77 and a Sansui SD-5050. If I get two more I'll change my name to Tom Bradford and exclaim eight is enough.