Some PL400 Meter Data

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
A question from Skratch got me investigating the VU meter characteristics a bit more so I thought I would post the data and calculations I worked on here.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
By the way, the White Oak Audio website has an error in the FAQs regarding meter testing. The web page says a 390 ohm resistor in series with a 1.5V alkaline cell will produce a meter deflection to about -4dB. In reality it is a 3.9K resistor to produce this result. I have to get in and correct this error soon.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Thanks Joe. Have you calibrated any of your meters? If they are resting at 0 or -20db is the mid-point deflection going to be close?

Do you know if there is a source for some replacement meters, that would be great.

Mark

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I have not found any replacements Mark, only sacrificial chassis from Ebay and yard sales.

Yes, I have calibrated or taken data on 4 meters in order to gather this average data. Surprisingly, after all these years, each was still quite close. Dixson did a good job. The biggest shortcoming in these that I have noted is the aging of the plastic cases around the old (pre White Oak) incandescent light bulbs where it has become extremely brittle.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I wonder if there would be enough of a market to have Hoyt or some other meter company produce a run of Phase Linear 400 meters? I know there are far fewer 700B's out there in circulation, so it might not make sense to have production done on these, but I'll bet a "run" of 400 meters might be doable..

What is the cost of a meter from Hoyt or another company, and how many could a person sell? Maybe 250 or so? If you could have them made for a reasonable price and then sell them on eBay, or elsewhere it might make sense..bezels too...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
This might be a question for skratch. He's in the plastics molding business. If we could find a decent movement, like the teardrop Series I meters, we might have something. Funny, Ed has replacement teardrop meters but he says it is a rare occurance they ever break. They were made in Japan and the build quality is excellent.