Solder suggestions

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I'm getting ready to place an order with MCM Electronics and want to order THE solder which is going to be the stuff. What is everyone using as their choice for Phas Linear work? The Kester "44" doesn't seem to be cutting it. I would love to hear your suggestions for brand and size...Thanks,

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Sutton
My usual is Kester "44", SN63PB37 (0.025" diameter, 0.60mm) 24-6337-0018

For my cap boards where the solder application is heavier, I use the 0.050" diameter of the above.

For my automotive projects I use Kester No Clean SN63PB37 #50/245
(0.031" diameter) 24-6337-8800

What about the Kester "44" is not working for you?

ksrigg said:
I'm getting ready to place an order with MCM Electronics and want to order THE solder which is going to be the stuff. What is everyone using as their choice for Phas Linear work? The Kester "44" doesn't seem to be cutting it. I would love to hear your suggestions for brand and size...Thanks,

I've been using the WBT Silver Solder (WBT-0800) that Larry sent me for ever ago on my projects lately. It's about time to get some more.....

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I'm just having problems getting the solder to make a good bond with the solder point. It just seems to be making a blob which isw not integrating with the "other" solder on that point, or not adhereing to the solder point...It just forms a blob...Maybe I don't have my solder station temperature set high enough...I've been trying around 650, then 700, then 725. Where should I be with Kester "44"?

I started at 500-525, but have since gone a little hotter and hotter....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Are the places where it isn't flowinmg oxidized or stained somehow? Try a little flux. It helps the "flow" go sooner and with less heat. Also if you melt solder on your tip and expect to have it the same qualities after more than ten seconds....it doesn't. Melted solder will oxidize after ten seconds and the "flow" won't happen without severe angle changes and pressure. Wet the tip on a moist sponge to clean any foreign matter before every solder joint attempt, wet the tip with solder, put the tip opn the joint to be soldered, apply a tiny bit more solder to start the heat transfer, wait a bit for the heat to transfer, then apply some more solder. It should flow to both objectives and leave a nice convex radius not a concave as you desctribe.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
550-800 is more than enough to make the solder perform as described.

Kester 44 has been the industry standard since it came out, and that was a loooooooooooong time ago. My dad and His Dad swopre by it.

That said, I'm kinda like Rex, I find myself reaching for that 4% that Larry sent me than my normal stuff. I thought silver solder would be harder to work. Other than a second or 2 more preheat it's about the same.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
You have to keep that tip tinned. I use stuff called tip tinner it cleans the tip very well. Most of my irons the only way you can tell they have been used is the discoloration from heat. The tinner comes in a tin the size of a quarter. After I'm done I clean the tip with a brass brush.

Larry

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Sutton
If the solder isn't wetting and flowing, you have corrosion on the parts you are trying to solder. Solder will not "take" until you clean the parts to be soldered. The rosin core of the "44" is intended to be a mild flux to remove small amounts of corrosion and ensure a good solder bond but it will not do much if the surfaces are heavily oxidized.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I may have a combination of all the above mentioned problems. I am getting some new solder and will clean the tip on the iron really well, and will report any future problems. I know it is MY problem and it is just inexperience, not doing enough soldering to know exactly what I am doing. It has to be primarily from a film being on the things I am trying to solder along with a tip that is not clean enough..

I'm getting ready to tear into the next 400, and I'll let you know how it goes. Waiting on a small order from MCM with some test leads and some new solder....along with some resistors and a few other items...Thanks for all the suggestions again..

ksrigg said:
Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I may have a combination of all the above mentioned problems. I am getting some new solder and will clean the tip on the iron really well, and will report any future problems. I know it is MY problem and it is just inexperience, not doing enough soldering to know exactly what I am doing. It has to be primarily from a film being on the things I am trying to solder along with a tip that is not clean enough..

I'm getting ready to tear into the next 400, and I'll let you know how it goes. Waiting on a small order from MCM with some test leads and some new solder....along with some resistors and a few other items...Thanks for all the suggestions again..

Keep a wet sponge there as you solder and clean your tip often (I'll do it after each solder joint even).

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I think I have the problem solved. The Kester is working fine with a clean tip, and clean
posts, ect....

Anybody have any idea who is making the house brand solder for MCM? They have a pound spool for $20.39 now...I wonder if it might be Kester "44"? The spools look the same...plus MCM has a 10% off coupon right now...I really like buying stuff from them...You never know if you are going to get ONE or ONE HUNDRED for 95 cents...

16 oz

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-1040

6 oz.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-1045

Check 'em out next time you need some stuff....sometimes their prices are amazing!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
As much as most everything we do depends on solder joints...... do ya really want to risk that by getting cut rate --god knows--where it was made stuff?? Granted there are some places to save money doing this stuff.......should solder be one of em??

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
My Kester, most of which is "Resin Five" 63/37 that was given to me maybe ten years ago. I haven't soldered anything yet. I have a Weller TPS station and a vintage Weller Jr.

I told you was saving for a long time.

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
LMAO... Lee.... Hell yes he would buy cut rate solder.... Were talking about a guy that goes to Big Lots to get trash bags that you can see through. LOL... O-lord he will kill me for telling that one !!!!

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
kevin said:
LMAO... Lee.... Hell yes he would buy cut rate solder.... Were talking about a guy that goes to Big Lots to get trash bags that you can see through. LOL... O-lord he will kill me for telling that one !!!!
Maybe his trash so attractive he wants others to be able to see it. lol

Jim