Scope

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
In Canada, it looks like a Rigol DS1052E can be had for $400 shipped. But I got the impression the model is end of life.

I realize a case can be made for a brand new piece of equipmant but a nonessential $400 expense is not welcome in my circumstances. I quit my job to move here and income is what I get in the way of security pension. I am a 3rd generation 2nd hand shopper and old habits die hard. Except for the short time when I was married (a billion years ago) about all I buy brand new is socks, underwear, shoes and bedding. I look to the used market for just about everything else.

But for the amount of use I'd give it, $175 (or less - the ad did not say "firm") is more logical in my mind. It does not look beat-up in the photo and the environment where it's staged looks appropriate for it to have been in use.

A long road trip is not unappealing. Being as I am a recent geographic transplant, there are places along the route that I intended to visit at some time or another. Picking up an oscilloscope would sort of justify me going sooner instead of later.

LG oscilloscope.jpg

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
In Canada, it looks like a Rigol DS1052E can be had for $400 shipped. But I got the impression the model is end of life.

I realize a case can be made for a brand new piece of equipmant but a nonessential $400 expense is not welcome in my circumstances. I quit my job to move here and income is what I get in the way of security pension. I am a 3rd generation 2nd hand shopper and old habits die hard. Except for the short time when I was married (a billion years ago) about all I buy brand new is socks, underwear, shoes and bedding. I look to the used market for just about everything else.

But for the amount of use I'd give it, $175 (or less - the ad did not say "firm") is more logical in my mind. It does not look beat-up in the photo and the environment where it's staged looks appropriate for it to have been in use.

A long road trip is not unappealing. Being as I am a recent geographic transplant, there are places along the route that I intended to visit at some time or another. Picking up an oscilloscope would sort of justify me going sooner instead of later.

View attachment 42942
There is nothing wrong with buying a used item as long as that item was not a low end junk piece when it was made. Some items were made very cheaply and in that not very main stream so when you need to get parts to fix it there may not be any and in further aggravation, there are a lot more Tek repairs guys that can work on stuff out there than LG if you can find one.