Sansui TA-300

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Well, I sold off my SX-580 earlier this year (which covered the tapes I got from BlazES- thank you again!!!) and I'm kinda diggin' the Sansui look. Actually, I always liked that look... The black face with the white dial is just shit-hot to me. I'm thinking it would look smart on my desk at work...

So, I started checking the usual haunts for such things and came across a TA-300 that is in good cosmetic condition. I'm placing my focus there (cosmetics) since the internals can most likely be repaired, whatever might be wrong with them. But maybe the internals are a bigger issue?

My question is: are there models I should avoid? Certain known issues that I need to be aware of? I know very little about them, and need some intelligence on the brand 40-odd years after production.

Thanks!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Sansui is one of my fav's but beware when buying them that they can be a MoFo to repair. As with most manufacturers back then, they had new offerings every year and they didn't waste time fixing their schematics or drawings since their would be no payback of spending the time and money just to keep the docs current. I had to reverse engineer one of their circuit boards and just looking at the skizmo and comparing it to the actual boards I could see that it didn't match, so we got that..... Like everybody else, their old stuff needs parts and most of it is obsolete but we can USUALLY work around that (Ask Joe for a suitable sub :). BUT, the sound that the Sansui stuff has, it's usually worth the hassle. You are right on target, get the nicest you can afford because chances are you are going to open it up when you get it and do some maintenance. I prefer the bigger receivers myself but ALL of Sansui is expensive. The 300 and the 500 have PLENTY of obsolete parts. The Tuners (Tu-919, TU-717, TU-999) are excellent tuners and you get the same look as the 300, and 500, minus the complications of their receivers which don't match the skizmos/drawings. I've had my Sansui tuner in my system since I put it together. Had a lot of other components but the tuner has been a survivor. With the black/white scheme you are looking for you can go with one of their tuners and separate amps/pres as they match real well and they are easier to work on. They have "THAT Sound". Remember...... Condition Condition Condition.

And in the end, if you get tired of the black and white look, just change the bulbs and you get the color change option.

Rega.jpg

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I was also thinking of a tuner and integrated amp, but I have the Kenwood stuff for that (which I may use)...

But I wanted to keep it "all in one" with external components being tape and/or CD player(s).

You look at that tuner of yours and it is right at home with both current AND vintage components. Great look.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was also thinking of a tuner and integrated amp, but I have the Kenwood stuff for that (which I may use)...

But I wanted to keep it "all in one" with external components being tape and/or CD player(s).

You look at that tuner of yours and it is right at home with both current AND vintage components. Great look.
I love the tuner. It was in great condition except for the handle assembly on one side. I found nice handle kits but they are $$$$

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I sold my Sansui TU-717 more than four years ago. I think it would be less expensive to get the TA-300/500 than going the seperates route.

291335da-90f0-49b4-937e-bdc76489fc0e_zpsnfsizldj.jpg
DSC03971_zpsnr6htlhg.jpg

And the for sale photos from Innovative Audio:

Screenshot 2018-04-14 20.11.38_zps8egg6uvq.png
Screenshot 2018-04-14 20.11.16_zpssqbvbuja.png
Screenshot 2018-04-14 20.11.45_zpsy4fozis4.png Screenshot 2018-04-14 20.11.31_zps0d801ivb.png

And a short video of testing it before putting it up for consignment sale:

Nando.