Ron (Northwinds) Picks Up The Most Unusual Items

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi all,

I recently purchased from Ron what I deemed an unusual bunch of tapes. Only a few were conventional cassette tapes, but a bulk of them, 19, are DAT recordings of either aspiring artists, jingles for well-known TV shows, or other memorable musicians. I had a chance to play two of the DATs this morning. I hadn't used my Tascam DA-30 in more than three years. I had hopes of using it much more often, until I became accustomed to using my first MiniDisc deck and the Tascam was relegated to the shelf.

Ron is always a pleasure to deal with and I will continue to deal with him in future purchases as he has some very neat stuff that I just don't find, locally. I'm in the process of another deal with Ron. Thank you, Ron!

Here is what I received from Ron and pictures of the Tascam DA-30.

You are going to like this clip. It summarizes our deal if you are old enough to recognize the game show theme song:

Click on image to play video:

And a studio master of this artist, Gordon Elliott:

Nando.

Last edited:

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Just wondering in you opinion is DAT sound wise better than MD? I have never heard DAT, but if it is like DCC, DCC sounds more analog than MD IMHO, even though they are both digital formats.
That Tascam looks sweet:thumbright::thumbright:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Robert: Thanks. I didn't do a head-to head comparison between the DAT and MD formats, but I do recall my first recording onto DAT and I was floored by the results. Reading the specs for the DA-30, it's no wonder professional studio used them. Most DAT recorders are meant for studio work.

Also, it was closer to five years ago, not three, since I last used it. I found that out when I Googled Tascam DA-30 and found my old thread from the Tapeheads' forum.

Nando.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
The second video rolled without problems but the first had to be paused to allow it to completely buffer or it stopped a lot/broke up.

Photobucket itself has become a crap ad problem, for example that 'm player' ad that rolls out over the page and it takes a while to see the tab that closes it (sorta), and then there where navigation arrows at the top but the file was at the BOTTOM.

I almost gave up but I could hear audio of you putting the tape in and I had to find it.

After the second viewing of the TPIR theme, still with buffering and I was surprised it was NOT cached on my hard drive to replay smoothly, I figured I'd watch the second clip. It worked and the nasty ad rollover (and nav arrows) never came back.

However, the video was still at the bottom. This might leave the impression that either nothing was there or no video, only audio, something wrong with the file. Maybe the 'm player' people at work?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Robert: Thanks. I didn't do a head-to head comparison between the DAT and MD formats, but I do recall my first recording onto DAT and I was floored by the results. Reading the specs for the DA-30, it's no wonder professional studio used them. Most DAT recorders are meant for studio work.

Also, it was closer to five years ago, not three, since I last used it. I found that out when I Googled Tascam DA-30 and found my old thread from the Tapeheads' forum.

Nando.
Nando

How's the Dionne Warwick tape sound? Anything good on that one?

Elite-ist

Staff member
I will be busy for awhile playing what I have here. Dionne Warwick is very smooth listening. I might have to uncap the brandy tonight.

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Some links are not working for me Nando. I am glad the tapes are ok and if need be usable. Some of that stuff is wicked cool and I am sure you will other weird and cool stuff also. Thanks for taking them off my hands, I had no way to check them out anyway. Beautiful DAT machine you have there WOW!!!

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm curious about that Pink Martini. Fun sort of retro lounge group. That's the title from their first album. Just wonder if its a straight ahead copy or something else if most of those tapes are demos and such. Either way, could be a fun listen.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I'm curious about that Pink Martini. Fun sort of retro lounge group. That's the title from their first album. Just wonder if its a straight ahead copy or something else if most of those tapes are demos and such. Either way, could be a fun listen.
I am pretty sure they are studio test deals. This guy was a very well known producer that I got this stuff from several years ago. He had so much late 70-80s studio demos and whatnot that I could not keep track. Still pissed I could not get the handwritten letter from Carly Simon for the studio masters to her Bedroom lp. He would not give it up because it had her phone numbers and address on it. I told him, don't worry about me bugging her I just want the letter for the disc but it was not happening LOL

Thanks for the thumbs up Nando!

Elite-ist

Staff member
I have to set the Tascam DAT deck aside for now, as I have to get ready for some more mix tape recording. But, some of what I've played so far sounds excellent.

Dave: I didn't get to the Pink Martini tape before unplugging the deck. Once I'm ready to play more with the DATs I will post the video of what's on that particular tape.

Nando.