recording time @ 7 1/2 vs 3 3/4

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
I'm wondering how long a recording I will be able to make on my new 7" Rt 707 @ 7.5 and 3.75 speeds?

And where are some sourse for blank or used tape?

Ric:glasses2:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Till the end of the tape?? ( i know....)....I'm seriously a smartass.....:hello1:

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I'm wondering how long a recording I will be able to make on my new 7" Rt 707 @ 7.5 and 3.75 speeds?

An 1800' reel is roughly 45 minutes per side, 1200' is 30 minutes (at 7.5" /sec). Double that for 3.75. So figure that 1800' equals a C90 cassette, 1200' equals a C60. Back in my tape days I never used 3.75ips- didn't like the increased hiss and lower HF response.

I need to warn you: 2400' and 3600' on 7" reels use a VERY THIN substrate to cram that much on the reel, and are prone to stretching and ripping. I'm sure the Pioneer logic controls are excellent, but rapid FF/REW and throwing into PLAY seriously stresses the tape.

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
To tack onto Nando's suggestions, also consider purchasing either RMGI's LPR-35 (1800 ft/1mil thick) or SM-911 (1200 ft/1.5 mil thick) if you find sourcing NOS tapes to get too expensive once Freddy runs out. Splicit.com has 7" reels of LPR for $27.50 and SM-911 for $22.95, which are pretty reasonable compared to prices for sealed Maxell and such on fleabay.

I personally stick to buying new tape for a couple of reasons, including supporting the tape manufacturers - who, if they go out of business will leave us in a real lurch - and I don't like being unsure of the storage conditions for tapes from 40 years ago - no matter if they are sealed or not. And used tape, well, that's just a total crapshoot unless you personally know the person from whom you're buying.

Just my .02.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Till the end of the tape?? ( i know....)....I'm seriously a smartass.....:hello1:
Reminds me of the Ron White joke about the scared airline passenger who asked how long the plane could fly with only one engine, to which Ron replied - "all the way to the scene of the crash...," and added, "in fact, I'll bet it beats the ambulance there."

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
And the even older joke about a 4 engine plane losing one engine at a time and the time to destination stretching out till after losing the last engine taking all day to get there....

Nick Danger

Open Reel Tape Conversion Chart

Another vote for buying new tape: RMGI, ATR(NEW) and Ampex/ Quantegy 632(NOS) are all good choices and readily available, but the Ampex formula may become scarce sooner than later.