Record Cleaning (Yet Again)

gamve

Journeyman
Gamve
Does the carbon brush work better than the Discwasher fluid and wooden block? I have both.
Thanks
Larry

Larry the carbon fiber brush and the discwasher brush (Used Dry) are both fine for dusting an already cleaned record just prior to play or just prior to putting away. I must stress that both of these brushes are not record cleaners just dusters. My experience with the discwasher fluid is that it just helps to smear contaminates in the grooves from one place to another. Sorry but I would recommend you move the fluid on so to speak.
If you have a lot of records or you often purchase second hand records, then the best way to go is to get a wet vacuum type record cleaner. Most of the affordable ones are a bugger to use and are bloody noisy but the do give good results with sensible usage practices. Once clean you only need to dust the records before play and your stylus should remain fairly clean.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Wow this forum is doing some weird stuff. I have a spin n wash. I think it is called. On my second hand LPs the people I get them from must clean them because I very seldom get lint on the stylus.
Larry

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
I use a Spin Clean when cleaning,
but I use a brush on all before playing. Or, you could get one of these: :rabbit:

Jim

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
On really bad lp's i will allow the record to soak, turn it a quarter turn and soak and so forth, you can get the crud out, just have to let the solution work a bit.

Jim

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If you wanted clean records, you were supposed to get them at Wall Mart, or Wall Art if the M burns out (I'm coming to get you, Elvis)!

gamve

Journeyman
I've been following an interesting thread on Stereonet Australia that I thought would be good for you guys. I have pinched some pictures but for completeness and credit thread can be found here.
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthr ... er-(so-far)
This cleaner uses a easily available ultrasonic cleaner modified for record cleaning use. There are a couple of different designs here made by guys in Scandanavia

And a drying rack design using a computer fan

Residue after cleaning 40 LP's

Two images of exactly the same spot. First image shows cleaning after a typical wet vacuum clean of a record

Same image after ultrasonic cleaner

Food for thought.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Gamve
Are you going to build one? It would be cool. I like my records clean; but paying more for the cleaner than I did for the TT is what gets me.

Larry

gamve

Journeyman
I was thinking about building one but I have already cleaned 2000 or so LP's and buggered if I'm going through all that shit again. I have a VPI 16.5 and I reckon that will have to do.

elroy

New Around These Parts
one of these days, hopefully I will get myself a spin clean, got a few lp's in need of cleaning, most of mine are in good shape, but I have gotten a couple lps from GW, and they need a good washing. speakerman has set me up with some reel tape, and when I record I want to make sure my lps are as best as I can get them,

elroy

gamve

Journeyman
Weather has been crap here all weekend so back to cleaning records again. After doing another 40 or 50 with the VPI the ultrasonic cleaner is looking much more attractive. Some of the guys are digging up parts suppliers on SNA so I will follow the progress.