Really old tubes

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Used in broadcast transmitters, Dale just left for work up to Mt. Bigalow, had a huge box, I asked what the hell it was,..... transmitter tube he says, ......... Cool let me see it! .......I gotta go to work, but I'l bring the old one back for you........ :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well, these are some others laying around I forgot about, the one on the left is a beast weighs about 40lbs, we used it as a door stop on nice days at the old house, says Burle 8916 USA on the base.

The other is a Amperex 6076, and cooler lookin', lot's of copper. I shudder to think of the voltages these puppies need :cool:

Attachments

stuwee

nakdoc said:
I recall stories about the cabinet interlocks that made it impossible to get near the transmission tubes when they were powered.
Dale says there are several interlocks on the tranmitters at his stations, he works on them all week long, I'll post a pic the old/replaced one in a bit, it's purty too!

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I used to work on the 800 watt HF amps out of the P3 Orion, and yep, the main xmit tube looked a lot like that one on the left. I think the voltage was around 8KV.

Big bassid amps too... before the final inspection we had to fill the HV sections in with nitrogen to prevent arcing.

Edited to add piccie I just found. Amp was on the left, R/T on the right, control box in the middle..

stuwee

Here's the old just replaced Econco tube from the radio station, I hope the test spec sheet comes out in the pic, they packed the mother good in the 20x14 box, completely encased in soft foam pads. Pic is of the old one, it has to go back for a re-furb, these are not cheap.

Attachments