Quantegy 499 1/4" x 1200' sealed tape question

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
A friend hooked me up with a sealed box of this 7" reeled tape. Says Grand Master Gold Studio Mastering Audio Tape 499. Grey box w/ blue stripe across the bottom. I am tempted to open and see if it comes on a metal reel

Question is this, I see a very similar box but it has Ampex on the side, mine says Quantegy. Is there a difference? I only want some metal reels, not sure my Tandberg is up to snuff to try recording with this high quality tape and I'd hate to waste it when other have so much better RTR units that might actually like to use this tape. He also sent me one of those cool Maxell metal reels so I am still looking for another

What's a sealed box of this stuff worth and is there anyone out there interested in swapping a couple metal Maxell reels for this box of tape? I will post an image of the box if someone is interested

Last edited:

Des_Lab

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm not aware of Quantegy or Ampex ever having made 7" metal reels, so it's highly unlikely you'll have one in a 7" box. I can almost guarantee you it will be a two-spoke plastic reel.

The difference between Ampex and Quantegy is date of manufacture. When Ampex and 3M's magnetic media divisions were broken up and truncated from their parent companies, they merged, resulting in the formation of Quantegy. This took place in or around 1995 IIRC. And it was the Ampex product line that was the survivor. About the only 3M product to make it to Quantegy was #996, which was further refined and eventually became GP9 tape.

A good rule to live by is that any Ampex or 3M/Scotch back coated tape is to be avoided because of Sticky Shed. Although Quantegy is generally considered safe, since the new binders were developed by then, there are some reports of scattered Quantegy badged tapes being made with the older materials and thus may have SSS. This is where date of manufacture becomes important. Ampex started that practice years ago and Quantegy continued it all the way to the end. Look on the box, usually on the top spine. Look for a five or six digit number. Say it reads "95206". The "95" indicates the year of manufacture (1995) and the "206" indicates the 206th day of the year it was made. What is that? July or August. Quantegy continued that system, although some tapes use the two digit year format ("05") and others used the four digit year ("2005").

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
As far as I know, Ampex and Quantegy are the same, just a name
change. Ampex sold them their tape business.

Northwinds

Tagline
Is it good tape? Everywhere I have looked seems to point to this tape as being highly regarded for high output recordings

Des_Lab

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Oh it's a good tape. But the Ampex version is known to be SSS. The Quantegy ones, not so. But it's a 50/50 possibility that the one you got, which was basically during the transitory period may have it. If you open it up and it doesn't have SSS, you are free and clear to tape away. And it will sound good. If it does have it, then toss it.

Des_Lab

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Sticker must've been removed then. But that's ok. Judging from the box and packaging style, that's definitely an early version that dates from about '95 or '96. I'd say crack it open. You have nothing to lose.

Northwinds

Tagline
These came from a recording studio near Marion, IL. They were stored in a climate controlled area for long term storage of tape. The packaging shows no indication of any type of sticker ever being applied so I am thinking this came is a 10 pack box?

I don't think I want to open it, would rather trade it. I have at least 30 reels of Scotch and Ampex tape to play with when I get the urge to try, some of them have never been used either and none show SSS

Thanks for the pictures!

Last edited:

Des_Lab

Journeyman
Tagline
---
They were stored in a climate controlled area for long term storage of tape.
Unless that area happened to be zero percent humidity the entire time, would still make no difference vís-a-vís sticky shed. If they had the defective binders, they'll still develop the condition. It just might've taken longer or not been as severe.

The packaging shows no indication of any type of sticker ever being applied so I am thinking this came is a 10 pack box?
Entirely possible.

I don't think I want to open it, would rather trade it. I have at least 30 reels of Scotch and Ampex tape to play with when I get the urge to try, some of them have never been used either and none show SSS
There ya go. I have a few dozen rolls of NOS Maxell, Quantegy, PYRAL, and a few Scotch and Denon reels to play with too. They're fun to have.

Thanks for the pictures!
Welcome.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If it's rare it's because there isn't enough to make an Elvis album at that length...oh well :toothy5:

Northwinds

Tagline
I don't think anyone said it was Steven. As to length, you do use both sides right

I may just open it and record some Black Sabbath on it if someone does not want to swap for a clean 7" Maxell metal reel

If it's rare it's because there isn't enough to make an Elvis album at that length...oh well :toothy5:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have two Teac 2340s, my good man....7" 4 channel.

I doubt the King ever did quad like Tomita...