Q Up or similar

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Anyone here use a q up or similar device on their manual TT? Do they work? Pricing ranges $59 - $125. Q up is bulky/boxy looking, others are brass and pin shape. Seems like a good option for manual TT's.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
If you want automatic features, it's best to just get an automatic TT but let us know how it works if you jump in

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Yeah, my main table is an old Dual automatic. But, I just got a hold of an even older rek-O-Kut and want to get it spinning and was wondering about one of those lifter things to use once I get it ready to go because I am far too lazy. So any experiences or info people have would be welcomed.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeah, my main table is an old Dual automatic. But, I just got a hold of an even older rek-O-Kut and want to get it spinning and was wondering about one of those lifter things to use once I get it ready to go because I am far too lazy. So any experiences or info people have would be welcomed.
Which RekOKut did you get? I love the look of those old beasts. One day I will have one. I prefer the belt drive like the K-33 or N-33

Unfortunately the pricing has spiked a lot lately on these old TTs

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I have one of the Audio Technica Safety Raisers I bought back in the early 80's. (It's still around here in its original box someplace.) I used it for a while but it was really fiddley to deal with. Finally just took it off and just got my ass off the couch. There are lots of images on Google. I used it on my Denon table with a Stax UA7cf, carbon fiber arm.

Wow! I just looked those up on eBay. People are REALLY proud of those things!! I think I paid around $30 or $40 (new) for mine in the day. I don't think they're worth the money they're bringing today considering their performance.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I used a safety raiser, too. Worked fine on the table it was on. It is now in the box with all the accessories and won't go anywhere but onto a table I have. I've gone through the time of jumping up whenever a record was over and now have an SL-1600II to do the auto/shutoff duties when I'm to attending to the rig but I still prefer manual tables and will put the AT6006 onto the TD-125/SME I just assembled from parts. Plenty or room for the device not like a few of the other tables I have had over the years.

It in not that they are proud of the unit, there is that demand for a less common device that saves stylus wear and these styli are getting much more expensive. If everyone knew about the Q-up or whatever is available new today for about 60, twice the price of a new safety raiser back in the day, maybe the raiser's price would drop to double digits. But adjusted for inflation, that 30 is now about 85 so there is that.

The manual for the AT6006 is on vinylengine.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Which RekOKut did you get? I love the look of those old beasts. One day I will have one. I prefer the belt drive like the K-33 or N-33

Unfortunately the pricing has spiked a lot lately on these old TTs
Got a Rondine B12 for cheap. I actually felt a bit bad. It was listed with free shipping and the shipping cost almost what I paid. Guy had 10 bucks leftover and since I got it on Ebay, that was probably taken in service charges. So, maybe you wanna try searching for Rek O Cut now and then. Here's a pic from the day it arrived:

Just finished getting it all disassembled last night after struggling with a trio of stuck screws. I've got new rubber grommets on the way (three of the old ones were torn in half and the rest were dried and cracking) and will start with replacing those and changing out the hardware for newer bit and pieces so I don't end up with more stripped screw heads down the road. Motor's dead quiet so after I get the grommets replaced, a new idler and making a new base for it should have me in good shape except for the tonearm. I'll have to rewire it, and likely need to try to rebuild the vertical pivot that is all mangled. Probably getting the arm straightened out will be the toughest part of the project. No rush on this thing, don't expect to have much time to get at the plinth building and arm rebuild until after the holidays when things slow back down a bit.