PWM based fan controller

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I have seen Alan's designs before, he is a digital wiz. This is a great design for a computer or some other source where you have +12 VDC and +5 VDC at low amperage. I prefer the power of 120 VAC fans and they move a lot more air.

Mark

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Looks like a good solution, and not many parts. As long as there are DC fans out there with enough airflow to keep the PL's cool at all times, it'd be a go. I use two DC fans that probably would not be enough to keep the 700 cool if I was continuously banging the needles to the right side of the meter.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
All I've got are the big fans from the fronts of old computer and would like to force air from 2 down a vent nozzle of some sort and power the DC from the switched outlet.

[attachment=0:2kfz6mfl]Fan Plan.GIF[/attachment:2kfz6mfl]

There is a sealed front chamber that is separate from the downflow to allow upflow and leave the front of the vent open. This ought to diffuse the warmer air and the draft that's gonna blow out the front without having the exhaust recirculate into the back.

That's what I read on the corn flakes box.

This idea is for my SX-D7000.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Gibsonian said:
Looks like a good solution, and not many parts. As long as there are DC fans out there with enough airflow to keep the PL's cool at all times, it'd be a go. I use two DC fans that probably would not be enough to keep the 700 cool if I was continuously banging the needles to the right side of the meter.
I've got some DC fans that run the same RPM(or real close) as the AC fans. I thought it was a neat idea too, as I forget to plug in the fans before going to Mach 89 sometimes. After additional research the is an IC put out by Maxim that includes the heat sensor.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Those appear to be "Thermoswitch" based. A thermoswitch is a bi-metal set of contacts that open or close on a predetermined temperature. Probably just fine for what were doing, but the PWM based is a variable speed solution.

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
laatsch55 said:
Those appear to be "Thermoswitch" based. A thermoswitch is a bi-metal set of contacts that open or close on a predetermined temperature. Probably just fine for what were doing, but the PWM based is a variable speed solution.
I like the variable speed solution but I got what I could get at the time. The Hafler is variable speed so maybe it could be a possible canidate.

Jim

orange

Tagline
The D7000 gets warm and stays there in good order. A fan setup that powers from the receiver is probably a good idea for me.

laatsch55 said:
Gibsonian said:
I've got some DC fans that run the same RPM(or real close) as the AC fans. I thought it was a neat idea too, as I forget to plug in the fans before going to Mach 89 sometimes. After additional research the is an IC put out by Maxim that includes the heat sensor.

orange

Tagline
The big fan in the front is NOT 5V, it's 12V.

Remember that both 5 and 12 volts are found on the power supply-it's standard on all connections!

I think 5 volts is onboard, powers the serial bus and some drives but the big ones should be 12VDC.

If you have a bad/expendable Linksys router that adapter may well be 5V and around 2.5A.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
laatsch55 said:
Gibsonian said:

Yes, I forgot one time, (actually alot more times but this on is memorable) and it was a bad time to do it (was seeing just how far I could crank it after sampling some coldies) as I took out some transistors and killed the amp that you now have in your possession Lee. I now leave them on all the time, safer that away. A heat controlled variable speed fan that is pretty quiet would be really good stuff.

orange

Tagline
I had a dead MB on a Dell Dimension 9100, weird MB layout and the thing mounted in a way no regular one I have would. It yielded this puppy![attachment=2:1wsleidj]hhepokpknketrpt (1).JPG[/attachment:1wsleidj][attachment=1:1wsleidj]hhepokpknketrpt (3).JPG[/attachment:1wsleidj]

Compared to a larger CPU fan:[attachment=0:1wsleidj]hhepokpknketrpt.JPG[/attachment:1wsleidj]

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Gibsonian said:
laatsch55 said:
Gibsonian said:

Me thinks so too Scott. Ya know we know nothing about the rest of your system, inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, I forgot one time, (actually alot more times but this on is memorable) and it was a bad time to do it (was seeing just how far I could crank it after sampling some coldies) as I took out some transistors and killed the amp that you now have in your possession Lee. I now leave them on all the time, safer that away. A heat controlled variable speed fan that is pretty quiet would be really good stuff.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
orange said:
The big fan in the front is NOT 5V, it's 12V.

Remember that both 5 and 12 volts are found on the power supply-it's standard on all connections!

I think 5 volts is onboard, powers the serial bus and some drives but the big ones should be 12VDC.

If you have a bad/expendable Linksys router that adapter may well be 5V and around 2.5A.

Thank You Steve.