Professional VHS Equipment

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Anyone with experience on professional level VHS record/playback equipment? Opinions on pro models that offer good features and are reliable? I have a Mitsubishi S-VHS near pro unit that is great when it works but unfortunately, the transport mechanics are unreliable. Whenever I want to use it, I need to fix it, tired of that.

Any opinions on the Panasonic AG-6300?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
No, I have a Mitsubishi prosumer model now and it is not reliable. Looking for the real deal pro model. Something similar to this.

AG-6300.jpg

Tagline
---
i guess you must have the BV-2000 then? MITSUBISHI didn't make all that many industrial grade VHS VCR models IIRC,
and the BV-1000 and -2000 are the only ones that come to mind, with the BV-2000 being their first, -and possibly only-
true full-on industrial grade model;

that said, if PANASONIC PRO decks are what you are after, there are several examples of the AG-7300 currently available on the BAY;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...+AG-7300.TRS0&_nkw=PANASONIC+AG-7300&_sacat=0

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
i guess you must have the BV-2000 then? MITSUBISHI didn't make all that many industrial grade VHS VCR models IIRC,
and the BV-1000 and -2000 are the only ones that come to mind, with the BV-2000 being their first, -and possibly only-
true full-on industrial grade model;

that said, if PANASONIC PRO decks are what you are after, there are several examples of the AG-7300 currently available on the BAY;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...+AG-7300.TRS0&_nkw=PANASONIC+AG-7300&_sacat=0
Hi
I have a HS-U760 SVHS Mitsubishi presently. That is the one that breaks all the time. When I fix it (with expensive new parts), it works great for a time and then acts up again. Tired of this routine. So I am looking to possibly get a true professional model and Pana, JVC or SONY seem to be the most prevalent options, with Pana having the most prescence in this market.

Was asking if anyone on the forum has any pro VHS gear and could offer any opinions. For the moment, I have subbed in a cheap SONY unit which I do not like, but the price was right and it works.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Mitsubishi was a company that made most garbage no matter how nice the front panel- reminds me of another A named company as well.
I worked in customer service and we saw tons of Mitsubishi products. Junk is what I call it.

I also then worked at a video tape duplicator. We used as a main unit the JVC BR-7000. These were solid big heavy unit that could take a lot of punishment and we kept them going way past what they were intended to run. Direct drive reel motors.
Sony made some VHS unit that were better grade but JVC was the license holder so they would have made more of them in different models. If you want high end you need to spend high end and get the Industrial or Broadcast stuff- easy today as most places are dumping the tape to go to digital.

One deck I worked on was DVR22- now that had a nice picture but the head and brush assembly was
about $3000 not to count the install. A cylinder with 34 heads on it. Of course the unit sold for $55,000.

Tagline
---
i'll admit, the Mitsu HS-U80 that i positively adore the design of seems an inferior performer to my rather spectacular JVC HR-S8000U S-VHS, on certain levels.

my copy of the U80, at least, was very well cared for, and little used by it's original owner, and it's mechanical performance has been flawless so far.
in fact, it's "Twin Digital" tracking system perfectly tracks tapes that even the otherwise almighty 8000U will not.

it is really too bad that the MITSUBISHI's raw video performance seems so... Noisy.
and that in direct comparison to the JVC it seems to suffer a serious case of "Crush" in it's BLACK LEVEL.

i mean, i really, REALLY LOVE the MITSUBISHI HS-U80. to my personal eye, it's the most perfectly beautiful VHS VCR design i have ever seen,
and i've literally seen nearly all of them. it would be nice, if the decks' apparent tendency to crush blacks and emphasize VHS' inherent video noise
was merely due to driving fine adjustments that needed re-calibration, but i doubt i'd be so lucky.

in any case, for such a poor performing TOTL S-VHS Prosumer Editing Deck, the U80 sure makes for a mighty pretty snapshot of it's own DVD/S-VHS recording.
bear in mind, folks, this is 1988 video recording technology tackling a 2011 DVD release spun on a 2001 DVD player;

for direct comparison, the same scene from the JVC HR-S8000U's own S-VHS recording;

- you know... now that i look at it again, the U80's recording does in fact appear generally sharper than that of the 8000U.
perhaps this explains my perception of of it's seemingly above average video noise?

perhaps the U80 is in fact extracting a marginally higher degree of the recorded detail than the 8000U is actually capable of?
or perhaps it is merely disparate performance in the decks' comb filters, DIGITAL NR and/or other video processing electronics?
all the same, i cannot understand where the U80's seeming black crush comes in.

i mean, that Black Crush, while not the most evident from these Animation screenshots, is definitely quite significantly notable
during every live-action film i've yet passed through the deck;

perhaps it's merely the low-res truth of VHS shining through, but i can swear the JVC displays far superior BLACK detail.
i haven't gotten around to getting direct screenshots for comparison, apologies for being so lazy about that...

Last edited:

Dazen1

Veteran and General Yakker
Professional VHS Equipment...

That sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Does this format really have a place in the the third millennium?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Professional VHS Equipment...

That sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Does this format really have a place in the the third millennium?
They say that about cassette tape and LP's too but we still seem to gravitate to them :)

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
No, VHS is through even more than any other format. I just was directing a person to get a high end unit in order to use and capture video to another format as the parts support for the pro unit is no more and even though they hold up well they will eventually need a part. My Video Engineer friend now works in stage Audio set up business. He still has all kinds of video stuff but he got most of it for free I bet.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I'm thinkin if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a book.....

Tagline
---
No, VHS is through even more than any other format.
it may be, but it IS the Video format most of us 1980's kids grew up around, and the more sentimental and nerdy of us out there
tend to have a hard time letting go of the detritus of our youth, no matter how poor the quality or low the value.

besides, with VHS videotapes like 5pc. $1.00 at GOODWILL, and often cheaper still elsewhere,
VHS is a great boon to those of us that like to enjoy a lot of obscure and long forgotten B films and such on the cheap.

oh, and the first high end VCR i had ever seen in my life, was the MITSUBISHI HS-U70, the model directly under the HS-U80.
i chanced upon it at an event i was attending, and i happened to be lucky enough to have the first low-end DigiCam we ever owned on hand,
and was graciously permitted to take surprisingly decent photos that i drooled over for a long time;

i eventually owned this S-VHS VCR, my very first, but before long, i steeped up to the two TOTL S-VHS models i currently use.
i still have the HS-U70 however, squared away for the time being;

eventually, at a nearby yard sale, i found an old turn-of-the-90's or so CHAPARRAL large-dish satellite receiver unit for around $1.00
than had a very nice set of gunmetal colored isolator feet fitted that i felt would complement the U70 much better than the smaller, chromed factory stock set;

Last edited:

braxus

Journeyman
I had the chance to buy a working condition U80 for a good price locally, but ended up passing on it when I decided I had enough S-VHS decks already. Don't need another one. Still buying the odd high grade VHS tapes, but don't really have anything to put on them at the moment. I'll have them for if I should need them. I rarely record off tv these days, because frankly there is nothing on I'm interested in keeping. Not like the 80s when there was numerous stuff on I'd record tons of. I think tv has moved on from what I'm interested in.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
And it's great to see you again, braxus.