Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Is this correct for quasi comp?

www.our-eyes.net/images/wopl/1.jpg
www.our-eyes.net/images/wopl/2.jpg

The only reference I could find for the correct wiring is on this page: http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/show...amn-Fine-700-WOPL-Update/page7?highlight=sutt

White Oak page for the control board has its first 4 pics showing Rev E, but then uses a pic of earlier revision for the wiring.. which is different.
Nominally it looks close. Hard to tell because you have blue tape in the way of seeing the backwall connection points. The white wire that goes to 5L appears to be coming from the right hand channel side which is NOT correct. That wire should be emanating from the copper bus bar between the 2 large bulk caps.

Here are the narrative wiring instructions:

White Oak
Pin # Where does it go to? Usual Wire Color
Left Bank
1L Signal input from left channel RCA jack tip Black shielded
2L Shield from left channel RCA jack shell Black shielded
3L Q12-base Violet
4L Q14-collector Yellow
5L Ground wire connection to bus bar between 2 bulk caps White
PNPL* No connection for your quasi comp application
6L Output bus wire joining collectors of Q16,18,20,22 Gray
7L B+ fused bus wire joining collectors of Q13,15,17,19,21 Orange
8L Q13-emitter Brown or Tan
9L Q11-base Blue
10L Bus wire joining base of Q13,15,17,19,21 White/green/black
11L B+ unfused, directly from the B+ bulk cap Red
12L B- unfused, directly from the B- bulk cap Black

C-L Left Bias transistor Q6 Collector mounted on chassis wall Red
B-L Left Bias transistor Q6 Base mounted on chassis wall Black
E-L Left Bias transistor Q6 Emitter mounted on chassis wall Brown

White Oak
Pin # Where does it go to? Usual Wire Color
Right Bank
1R Signal input from right channel RCA jack tip Black shielded
2R Shield from right channel RCA jack shell Black shielded
3R Q12-base Violet
4R Q14-collector Yellow
5R No connection
PNPR* No connection for your quasi comp application
6R Output bus wire joining collectors of Q16,18,20,22 Gray
7R B+ fused bus wire joining collectors of Q13,15,17,19,21 Orange
8R Q13-emitter Brown or Tan
9R Q11-base Blue
10R Bus wire joining base of Q13,15,17,19,21 White/green/black
11R No connection
12R No connection

C-R Right Bias transistor Q6 Collector mounted on chassis wall Red
B-R Right Bias transistor Q6 Base mounted on chassis wall Black
E-R Right Bias transistor Q6 Emitter mounted on chassis wall Brown

Keep all wires as short as possible for best audio performance and low noise. The 3 bias transistor connection wires should be kept to 6” (150mm) or less.

All Phase Linear PL700s and PL400s are all basically the same although PL held no consistency between the generations as to where the pads were physically on the original Phase Linear control board or the order that they were in. The White Oak board is consistent for both left and right channels which makes it a lot easier.

*Note: PNPL and PNPR wire pads where phased in for RevD and forward PL14_20 boards, RevA and RevC PC boards do not have these wire pads. These pads are only used to support full comp operation in conjunction with White Oak Audio backplane boards which are full complementary.

solarlight

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Blue Tape

Yeah, that blue tape I used to identify the "blue wires" when I detached the old board.
The "blue" color was so close to grey due to age, and I didn't want confusion.
Those are all original wires connecting the old pcb.
That white wire, I assume was routed that way originally. I will make sure it connects as you describe.
Oh, and I meant only reference image of Rev E wiring.
Thank You...

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeah, that blue tape I used to identify the "blue wires" when I detached the old board.
The "blue" color was so close to grey due to age, and I didn't want confusion.
Those are all original wires connecting the old pcb.
That white wire, I assume was routed that way originally. I will make sure it connects as you describe.
Oh, and I meant only reference image of Rev E wiring.
Thank You...
When first bringing up, use a DBT (dim bulb tester) AND a Variac. Populate only the bottom row of output devices, the RCA410. You will be able to check out all the functions, offset and bias with only this row installed.

This is safe mode.

After the first row comes up, install one more row and check. Proceed to the next row only after all was good with the prior step. VERY IMPORTANT!!!, TURN OFF THE POWER AND BLEED THE BULK CAPS BEFORE INSTALLING ANY OUTPUT DEVICES OR MAKING ANY WIRING CHANGES.

solarlight

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Completeness; WOPL 700B Quasi

It appears the white wire is routed to the ground terminals on the outputs, then a thicker grey from that is routed to the center post between the large caps.

I am including 2 pics showing the power trans wiring connecting the WOPL pcb. The wire connections to power trans sections are original and unmodified.
The right 2n3403 is missing in these pics, i have 2 on order.
I trimmed the blue tape for a better view. For some reason, the bus wires for Q11/Q12 is missed in the narrative.

http://www.our-eyes.net/images/wopl/3.jpg
http://www.our-eyes.net/images/wopl/4.jpg

Thanks for your patience. I posted these for completeness for others updating their 700B with the Rev E board.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It appears the white wire is routed to the ground terminals on the outputs, then a thicker grey from that is routed to the center post between the large caps.

I am including 2 pics showing the power trans wiring connecting the WOPL pcb. The wire connections to power trans sections are original and unmodified.
The right 2n3403 is missing in these pics, i have 2 on order.
I trimmed the blue tape for a better view. For some reason, the bus wires for Q11/Q12 is missed in the narrative.

http://www.our-eyes.net/images/wopl/3.jpg
http://www.our-eyes.net/images/wopl/4.jpg

Thanks for your patience. I posted these for completeness for others updating their 700B with the Rev E board.
Here is the recommended PL700 wiring scheme, especially the ground runs.

View attachment PL700 Grounding.pdf View attachment Star Point Ground Scheme for PL700B Amplifiers.pdf

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You will have a hard time achieving a quiet amp (low noise floor) with the black shielded input wiring all laced up with the remaining bundle of wires. PL probably thought it looked nice that way but it is technically not the right thing to do.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
PL700B 003.jpg PL700B 001.jpg PL700B 005.jpg PL700B 002.jpg PL700B 001.jpg PL700B 004.jpg

The best practice is to run all DC wiring on the bottom lip edge of the amp which traverses the connections to the control board from the backwall.

All AC wiring gets rerouted across the top edge where there is no other wiring present. Cut the corner and go down before you hit the input connector section of the backwall on the far right. Keep all AC wiring closely paired with its return mate.

Rewire all grounds to use a star point ground as shown in the PDF provided.

Break away the AC run to the power switch from all other wiring and run separately and separated from all other wiring bundles. The ideal treatment is to bring this wiring in from the left side of the amp rather than the right side (as it was originally wired by PL).

Break away the shielded input runs from all other wiring bundles and keep them closely tied to each other for the entire length of run. Especially work to keep separation distance from any AC wiring.

If you are careful about proper wiring routing and dress, you will end up with a very quiet amp.

Some photos of best practices wiring routing shown above.

Last edited:

solarlight

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Satus.

I purchased a 116B Variac and made a DBT.

Using them I began testing.. +-15 were right on, everything looked good.
With only the pairs of 410's in for the right and left channels and verified using multimeter/diode that no shorts and,etc were fine

I put in the 5AGX fuses on both channels and set the bias.. everything right on.
i used speakers, both in series with 1A fast blow fuses.
I then turned it on and the left channel was fine but no output from the right channel.
Now, when I received this amp, and its left channel worked. I had bought two replacement RCA410's from ebay/electronicexpediters c 8449

I stupidly increased the volume a bit and then poof, both right and left channel speaker fuses popped, all 5agx line fuses were good, and i blew out the D83 diode along with its run to Q1/R51

Further investigation looks like the C19 on the right channel output is a bit out of wack.
My fluke 117 measures that c19 on the left channel is 330uf, on the right is OL/overlimit, and Vdc in testing is 0.5 on the right, and 1.1 on the left (power off, no line fuses). LoZ

I replaced the 1n4004 /D83, removed what was left of the run D83- Q1/R51, and ran a bus wire to replace it.
Checked out other components, etc. and began testing again.
Current status is I now have +-15 v, waiting on replacement 0.22uf/100V for the c19's.[ no 5agx fuses installed]

oh well, live and learn.

Last edited: