PL400 transformer

crazy_b

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Greetings all! I had a question about my amp and no question that these Phoenix forums have the "Phase Linear" gurus:hello1:! I recently was virtually "given" ($90) a working PL400 amp by a gratious gentleman. He said it had some issues and he did not want to spend the time or money on restoration. The first thing that immediately struck me was that the label on the transformer stated max power was 1500 watts. Now I'm not an expert by any means on Phase Linears, but every PL400 amp I've seen a picture of shows the label on the transformer with a max power rating at 750 watts. Even the 700b transformer label shows 960 watts. Is anyone familiar of a modification that would swap out transformers, or is this a "one off" rare model?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The sticker vendors supplying Phase Linear in those days smoked a lot of pot.....and I daresay I imagine some of those sticker appliers also did. I suspect some of the transformer winders were in the same condition. I have a 400 transformer that measures more secondary voltage than a 700 transformer.

You do not have a rare one-off PL 400 transformer......you have one of many....it may be rare depending on the rail voltage...

BTW---Welcome to Phoenix!!

crazy_b

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
The sticker vendors supplying Phase Linear in those days smoked a lot of pot.....and I daresay I imagine some of those sticker appliers also did. I suspect some of the transformer winders were in the same condition. I have a 400 transformer that measures more secondary voltage than a 700 transformer.

You do not have a rare one-off PL 400 transformer......you have one of many....it may be rare depending on the rail voltage...

BTW---Welcome to Phoenix!!
Thanks for your quick response, and for the welcome! I guess the sticker appliers must have been the same guys hanging out with me back in the day :smokin:! Now I can move ahead and start looking into the WO mods for this amp!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Hey, I'm a child of the 70's........and ENJOYED EVERY SECOND OF IT !!!!!!

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Welcome to Phoenix Crazy. With a moniker like that you will fit in well here.

BTW...Lee probably had that amp before you got it, damn good explanation why that sticker was on there! (no joking around though....we all take our PL's pretty seriously around here)

crazy_b

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
And we take our WOPL's even more seriously...
Welcome to Phoenix Crazy. With a moniker like that you will fit in well here.

BTW...Lee probably had that amp before you got it, damn good explanation why that sticker was on there! (no joking around though....we all take our PL's pretty seriously around here)
Hey, I'm a child of the 70's........and ENJOYED EVERY SECOND OF IT !!!!!!
My moniker was given to me during those hazy days, not crazy in the same way anymore! But I love how crazy you guys are about the WOPLs. I'm looking forward to building my own with all the experience I can pick up here. Thanks for welcoming me!

crazy_b

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Welcome Crazy to our little spot on the planet - or is that welcome to our little crazy spot on the planet? I'm confused. :shaking:

A Nav welcome babe for your pleasure.
I'm not looking, I'm not looking :hiding:

you guys are nuts! I'm gonna enjoy this site!