PL400 Quasi to FC?

nogoodpig

New Around These Parts
Tagline
It was broken when I took it apart---
Oh wise ones forgive me my ignorance, I know not better. Perhaps I just cannot find the thread, or it's so obvious there isn't one. Is converting a PL400 4fin from Quasi Complimentary to Full Complimentary as simple as changing the outputs to comp configuration and building the WO board in the FC configuration? I scored the latest WO board and purchased the other goodies required to get my puppy up again. I have no problem buying more parts, especially if the wise ones inhere think it's worth doing.
If there's a thread, please just call me lazy and direct me to it. Someday I'll get some time off from work to actually do this thing.
Cheers!
NGP

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
No, not that easy. IF you are not using the backplane boards.........um.......don't do that. Get the backplane boards....full comp is a piece of cake that way......

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Quasi to FC using the stock backwall is a MAJOR rewire of all the sockets........don't do that......get the backplanes.....

nogoodpig

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Well I guess that answers that, those original sockets are scary cheap anyway. What are the benefits, other than the obvious quality that the backplanes bring to the table? Is the audio improved much?
I think I know the answer, I just want some reassurance!
NGP

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yes, but reliability is the main reason to do it. The sockets are so unreliable after 42 years....why tempt fate. Joe's layout on the backplanes are done with low noise, big power planes and good grounding in mind....a much better set up all the way around.

nogoodpig

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Okie dokie, I guess Joe will be gettin' an email as soon as I'm operating at full mental capacity. I have the NPN transistors and mica insulators already, any suggestions beyond the boards, wire kit and transistors? From Joe or Mouser.
NGP
BTW
I know what you do for living, here's what I do with the taxes you pay!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2alztBBH7wc

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Welcome to the Forum. You can shop around only to find Joe's prices for the requirements you have are hard to best. Save yourself the time and order everything you can from Joe. The Phoenix connectors are a great addition although not required.
Glen

nogoodpig

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Glen,
Thanks for the input, I got the driver board without the connectors, I was planning on ordering them with the backplane kits.
I've seen some posts about great wire to use for the interconnects, what is it? I have access to lots of Teflon wire, and nice strippers, is that the best choice?
NGP

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Silver coated teflon insulated, yep......if that link was any indication, mil-spec wire should not be a problem for you.....and thank you for spending my tax dollars so cooly!!

nogoodpig

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Wire.jpg
This should give me a good start, lots of colors and sizes. Everything it takes to rewire a PL400 is basically scraps.

nogoodpig

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Lee,
Thanks for the advice, you should hit up Joe for comission! I ordered the wire kit in spite of the stash at work, gotta keep Joe busy. I'll post about my adventures when I get rollin'.
Happy Trails,
NGP

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sounds good bud.....just having folks hear a WOPL for the first time is commission enough for me...

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Yes, but reliability is the main reason to do it. The sockets are so unreliable after 42 years....why tempt fate. Joe's layout on the backplanes are done with low noise, big power planes and good grounding in mind....a much better set up all the way around.
Okie dokie, I guess Joe will be gettin' an email as soon as I'm operating at full mental capacity. I have the NPN transistors and mica insulators already, any suggestions beyond the boards, wire kit and transistors? From Joe or Mouser.
NGP
BTW
I know what you do for living, here's what I do with the taxes you pay!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2alztBBH7wc
Skip The mica insulators and whale spooge thermal grease. Thats an unneeded old school mess. Get the Sil-Pads which are very convenient, clean and equal or better in the transfer of heat from the transistor to the heatsink and also providing isolation/insulation of the transistor from the chassis. They run about $10 per hundred. If one of us ever has the opportunity to work on one of your amps down the road, we will praise your work for NOT having to spend hours cleaning that shit off.

nogoodpig

New Around These Parts
Tagline

nogoodpig

New Around These Parts
Tagline
I went ahead and emailed Joe, he sells the Bergquist pads, not $10 per 100, but I only need 16, I ordered 20 to have some spares Is there anything else I'm missing? I plan on attempting my own meter lighting and DC protect board, perhaps fans also.
NGP

Last edited: