PL3000 preamp Recap Mouser parts list.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
If you’re going through all that trouble, I think it’s worthwhile to consider decoupling capacitors on opamps. Typically .1 µF film types or ceramic. If the 3000 is like my 3300 there are a number of ceramic capacitors in the signal chain which would likely benefit with equivalent film type capacitors.

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
Bikes, baseball and big amps.
If you think it's a good idea, it probably is. I have no idea how to do that. I'm still in Electronics 200. :) I couldn't believe I was able to buy all new nitrogen filled yellow relays from Walmart of all places, and they were only about $3.50 each. I also replaced the somewhat scorched snubber set up on the switch. Cleaned and exercised the pots and micro switches. Everything is working great, and the recap really cleaned up the bass response and significantly improved the overall fidelity. Now I once again have music while fiddling with a couple other amps that are challenging me.

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
Keeping the same opamps?
Ya Hey Professor! It seems to working fine, I am not aware of op amp issues. Do you have an article you could refer me to, regarding changing them out? I'd like more information regarding changing the opamps. Good to see you!

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
They may work, but they’ve actually made some progress in the world of opamps in the last 50 years.

Probably worth doing to reduce noise and distortion.

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
Still interested in articles or threads discussing changes to this Preamp. Haven't found anything. Perhaps Ed has some info. I'll give him a call.

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
I think I'll keep the TL 074's that are in it. I can follow directions and desolder/solder anything, and even trouble shoot a couple circuits, but No way does any of those articles make sense to me. That's electronics 300 or greater.. :)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I've got my main system PL2000S2 opened for some upgrades, so I've snapped some photos and will give this a shot.
The yellow driver is pointing to a silver mica in the phono section.
Silver mica replace ceramics where cost is reasonable as they get very expensive at higher values. PXL_20240516_180444054.jpg

Where silver mica is too expensive for the higher values, use polypropylene film caps like Panasonic ECW or WIMA MKS. Also replace small value electrolytics in the audio path with film. Film caps get very large in higher values and won't fit available space. Don't use film in the power supply section. PXL_20240516_180448855.jpg

Where you must use electrolytics, use a good audio cap like Nichicon UKZ "Muse". PXL_20240516_180457392.jpg

Stock opamps can be replaced with modern opamps like the OPA2134 mounted on adapter boards called "BrownDogs".
These are available from Cimarron Technology.
Most applications benefit from a 0.1 uF "bypass" cap across the positive and negative pins. Lots of info on the web if your interested. PXL_20240516_180503011.jpg

This is what upgraded PL2000 looks like. PXL_20240516_180701310.jpg