PL 700 version

timfountain

New Around These Parts
Apologies for the newbie question. I have been given a PL 700, with a small DC offset on one channel (180mv). Both channels can make rated power output into my test load without distortion. But I want to address the small offset. The question is which version of the PL 700 is this?

Thanks in advance.

PS power switch is new, as the older turn knob had fallen to bits...

Attachments

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
But I want to address the small offset.
The real question is What control board do you have? Because your amplifier is the venerable PL700, you have the fully adjustable PL0171 board.
Looking at the picture of your control board, the bottom potentiometer is R7, the potentiometer next to it is R17. These are on the Left Channel.

Here are the instructions for reducing the Output Offset to the factory spec, "about +75mV of DC voltage at the output terminals." Lower is better.
1. With the amplifier off, disconnect all speaker and Input Cables.
2. Gain access to the control board by dropping the Faceplate onto a soft surface.
3. Connect your Multi meter to the Left Channel Speaker Binding Posts.
4. Ensure switch on the rear of the chassis to is set to "Normal."
5. Rotate the Left volume control fully counter-clockwise.
6. Turn the amplifier on.
7. Rotate the Left Channel potentiometer R17 to get zero mV, or the lowest reading on the Multi meter.
8. Rotate the Left volume control fully clockwise.
9. Rotate the Left Channel potentiometer R7 to get zero mV, or the lowest reading on the Multi meter.
10. Repeat this until the Output Offset remains zeroed at both the full clockwise and counter-clockwise positions of the volume control.
11. Repeat steps 3-10 for the Right Channel.

While you are in there... Adjust the Bias. Easy to do if you have two small insulated alligator clips, attach them to each end of the resistor before turning on the amplifier. Then turn the amplifier on and let it warm up for 15 minutes.
1. Measure the DC Voltage drop across R47 (I think the Service manual calls out R40), this is the 10 Ohm 1/4W resistor on the back of the amplifier just to the left of the control board.
2. Locate R36 (the potentiometer with the white wheel on the left side of the control board) and turn it slightly to get a reading of +350mV.
3. Turn the amplifier off and locate R47 on the Right channel of the back of the amplifier, in the same position as R47 on the Left Channel.
4. Attach the alligator clips and turn the amplifier on.
5. Locate R36 (the potentiometer with the white wheel on the right side of the control board) and turn it slightly to get a reading of +350mV.

Congratulations, you are done.

timfountain

New Around These Parts
The real question is What control board do you have? Because your amplifier is the venerable PL700, you have the fully adjustable PL0171 board.
Looking at the picture of your control board, the bottom potentiometer is R7, the potentiometer next to it is R17. These are on the Left Channel.

Here are the instructions for reducing the Output Offset to the factory spec, "about +75mV of DC voltage at the output terminals." Lower is better.
1. With the amplifier off, disconnect all speaker and Input Cables.
2. Gain access to the control board by dropping the Faceplate onto a soft surface.
3. Connect your Multi meter to the Left Channel Speaker Binding Posts.
4. Ensure switch on the rear of the chassis to is set to "Normal."
5. Rotate the Left volume control fully counter-clockwise.
6. Turn the amplifier on.
7. Rotate the Left Channel potentiometer R17 to get zero mV, or the lowest reading on the Multi meter.
8. Rotate the Left volume control fully clockwise.
9. Rotate the Left Channel potentiometer R7 to get zero mV, or the lowest reading on the Multi meter.
10. Repeat this until the Output Offset remains zeroed at both the full clockwise and counter-clockwise positions of the volume control.
11. Repeat steps 3-10 for the Right Channel.

While you are in there... Adjust the Bias. Easy to do if you have two small insulated alligator clips, attach them to each end of the resistor before turning on the amplifier. Then turn the amplifier on and let it warm up for 15 minutes.
1. Measure the DC Voltage drop across R47 (I think the Service manual calls out R40), this is the 10 Ohm 1/4W resistor on the back of the amplifier just to the left of the control board.
2. Locate R36 (the potentiometer with the white wheel on the left side of the control board) and turn it slightly to get a reading of +350mV.
3. Turn the amplifier off and locate R47 on the Right channel of the back of the amplifier, in the same position as R47 on the Left Channel.
4. Attach the alligator clips and turn the amplifier on.
5. Locate R36 (the potentiometer with the white wheel on the right side of the control board) and turn it slightly to get a reading of +350mV.

Congratulations, you are done.
Thank you! I will be trying that this weekend...

Cheers

- Tim

timfountain

New Around These Parts
Ok, so I finally got around to messing with the beast. The left channel adjusted fine, both offset and bias were easy to reset to factory. The problem is the right channel. The offsets adjusted fine, but when I went to adjust the bias, I got a 0 V reading across the 10 ohm resistor, not the ~350 mV that I was expecting. The schematic is borderline illegible for the PL0171 board, and I am struggling to determine where to start, as working on this thing gives me the chills. I suspect the pre-drivers which look to be RCA40414 and RCA40327. But the schematic doesn't appear to match the pre-driver transistors on this board version - see photos upthread. I don't believe anyone has been in here and fiddled as both sides are the same and all looks unmolested on the underside. Thoughts much appreciated.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
That board has the bias transistors on the board not the backwall of the chassis, check gain on bias transistors...

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I got a 0 V reading across the 10 ohm resistor
This is an indication of a bad R47 10 Ohm resistor in the Right Channel. I have seen several of these 10 Ohm resistors physically cracked (electrically open) in the middle and this is due to the heat stress in that location.
We typically upgrade this antique 1/4 Watt 10% Carbon resistor to a new 1/2 or 1 Watt 1% Metal Film resistor.

You can check the resistance across the resistor when the amplifier has been turned off and unplugged for 15 minutes. That should alleviate your "chills". You may not measure exactly 10 Ohms due to multiple current paths, but it should be close and definitely not Infinite Ohms (open). It should also match the Left Channel.

The other option is a bad R6 (MPS5172) NPN transistor in the Right Channel as Lee suggested. Of course, those are no longer available, but Phase Linear changed R6 to a 2N3403 in the PL700B. Today, we use a 2N5088 as a Bias transistor because they are widely available.

Last edited: