Pioneer PL-530 Plinth recover

Tagline
---
I recovered a PL-530 plinth for a friend of mine with some Lacewood veneer.

Its a nice looking turn table but the faux wood veneer seems to be peeling off at the edges of all of these TT's.
Happened to be a plinth available on ebay at a good price, purchased it so the TT would only be down a minimal amount of time.

I got a 2x8' sheet of S.A. Lacewood with the 3M PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive). It was about double the price of a nice walnut but its a really cool looking wood with a ton of light effect to it. I will say that its a bit harder to work with than a longer grain wood, pieces of wood easily come off or separate.

After laying out the veneer under a sheet of plywood for a couple days, I cut my pieces and stuck them on. I used a straight edge and razor to cut the pieces. Before applying the veneer I traced a template onto cardboard with all the cutouts and bolt/screw holes so I could easily find them later.

I sanded down to a 400 grit on the bare wood then applied a few coats of "clear" shellac, sanding between coats to hopefully increase the depth and light reflective quality.
Then sprayed 3 coats of lacquer, 800 grit sand on the first and 1000 grit on the second.
semi gloss finish, no stain.

Assembly was a little easier than I thought, other than taking the tone arm off basically it comes off in segments.

edit: satin finish

Last edited:
Tagline
---
The old dust cover is yellowed and scratched so there is a new one on the way.

few more pics:

Ill have to keep an eye out for another 530 with this extra plinth and more veneer.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Great job. That's a different wood to use. Makes the turntable look a bit more modern.

Nando.

Tagline
---
Great job. That's a different wood to use. Makes the turntable look a bit more modern.

Nando.
Thanks! Yeah I like the way it turned out.
Personally I think the Turntable is the most appropriate to have exotic wood patterns on. I would prefer some Missouri Walnut on the cabinets but a turn table is small enough and with enough contrast and accent to pretty much do what you want.
I love the look of Burl wood but they are approaching and sometimes exceeding $200 for a 2x8' sheet. Also Ive never seen PSA Burl wood before and it typically has gaps in the veneer that need to be filled.

Tagline
---
IMG_4773.jpg

second plinth has the veneer applied and I made an isolation platform (1st of the 2). shellac applied as shown in pictures and I just sprayed the first coat of lacquer on both of those.

The isolation platform is made from 3 sheets of 3/4" MDF glued together and cut to the dimension of the TT plinth. Going to try satin nickel spikes from Dayton for the feet of the platform.

I have the second platform glued but no further, need to cut to size and then apply the veneer. gonna come down to the last of it.