Pioneer PL-514

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
It certainly looks good. Anything else we can fix.
Not familiar at all with pioneer TT’s could be a POS for all I know. I figured she can’t go wrong unless there’s known issues or they’re known to be crap? I asked her to find out what AT cartridge is on it, no response yet.

NavLinear

Not familiar at all with pioneer TT’s could be a POS for all I know. I figured she can’t go wrong unless there’s known issues or they’re known to be crap? I asked her to find out what AT cartridge is on it, no response yet.
Pioneer made some top quality turntables - this is an entry level table semi-auto one. Nando may have some inputs regarding Pioneer tables. Check out the link below when you have a minute or three.

https://vintage-turntable.com/pioneer-pl-514.html

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
That's a good price for that turntable assuming it's in working condition. Belt driven, upper-entry level. New belt would be good but Gordon has one at Innovative Audio right now for $495. A 518, the successor to the 514 is being offered for $400 over at Cherry Vintage Audio in Greenville, SC. It's certainly worth looking at for that price.

Pioneer's turntables were top notch.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
A fully automatic turntable would be a better choice for a beginner, but that would be up to your partner to decide.

The one issue for the 500 series Pioneer turntables were deteriorated feet which may have had an integral spring in them. There are probably replacements available now that weren't available years ago.

The belt circumference is critical because there is no pitch control. You can check speed with one of those strobe discs that play on the platter.

Nando.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Apparently we have two places to discuss this machine. The other in the Audio Discussions section, Turntables and Vinyl forum and here in the DIY Central section and Turntable forum.

I posted this in the other thread about this exact table.

sold for 140 new 78-80. Pioneer name is costing a c-note on that one well maybe 25 of that is the presumed better condition because the box is included.

Most tts from that era are worthy. I just sold a Pioneer PL-10 for about 150, plug and play beautiful condition, unknown nail condition but replacements available. Have a Toshiba SR-A100 soon to be on the block for half what that Pioneer is selling for. It was 115 in 80-81.

And I stand by those comments.

The 518 is the next table up on the line same timeframe selling for 200. It is popular, too and sells for way more than it should but I know about tables like the Philips brand and others that are as good or better that people don't want because is not a Pioneer, Sansui or Marantz.

I use the MSRP as mentioned in the Orion blue book which isn't always right and is not what one could buy the table for if they asked for a deal. Pioneer was reduced by 30% at warehouses. Add a sharp nail to either table, an entry level bonded tip cartridge and you might have to pay list price.

So although this table might sell for 275 it is a c-note overpriced because of the name, not performance. But getting a good table for under 3 is not a bad deal these days. I would look around more but I don't know the demands for this table in its planned place of use and I know a good bit about tables of the era having sold this crap from 77-80. And I have a larger metro area to find gear.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I wouldn't spend $500 CAD on a Pioneer PL-514 with cartridge included. More like half of that.

I would get a Realistic LAB-400 rather than a Pioneer PL -514.

Nando

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Nando is right, but what is available in the area? Not many can ship a table. But that PL-10 did cross the country and arrive safely.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Apparently we have two places to discuss this machine. The other in the Audio Discussions section, Turntables and Vinyl forum and here in the DIY Central section and Turntable forum.
Damn did that post? I thought i messed up and didn’t make a thread, guess I messed up and made two...

Anyways she bought it, think it has a low end AT 11e cartridge on it, new belt and works well. The seller auditioned it for her with no issues. She’s not a total n00b and knows how to use a turntable but she did say she misses her automatic one that died. Her system probably can’t make use of what darn near any turntable can offer, it’s more for her to play her old albums which are likely not in pristine shape either... she’s got it hooked up at her home this evening and seems happy with it. I got her a cleaning kit a while back and got her in the habit of cleaning the records and stylus when she was here over the winter. Think she’ll be ok and seems happy.

Attachments