Pickup truck drivers a question for you

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
What do you guys think about the growth in size of the standard pickup truck?

Would a new 1970s size pickup do the work you guys need the truck to do?

Other than LDS does a commuter/grocery getter pickup need to be as big as they are today?

Only because I used to be able to pull wheels and tires myself. I used to be able to check the oil without a step ladder, same with loading the bed.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
What do you guys think about the growth in size of the standard pickup truck?

Would a new 1970s size pickup do the work you guys need the truck to do?

Other than LDS does a commuter/grocery getter pickup need to be as big as they are today?

Only because I used to be able to pull wheels and tires myself. I used to be able to check the oil without a step ladder, same with loading the bed.

I feel your pain. I'm short and need the step stool to change the wiper blades and put DEF in my 2500HD duramax........... my 85 silverado was just about the right size.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
My 1990 Dodge seems plenty huge and it’s pretty much a 1970s truck. I need a stool to get to stuff and I’m not short. It least the bed is barely low enough to load stuff. Modern trucks are monstrosities. Lifted too high to load anything into, can’t get to anything under the hood, hilariously expensive, difficult to repair.

The cavernous under hood is the best part. I think I’ll keep my square body……

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My 1990 Dodge seems plenty huge and it’s pretty much a 1970s truck. I need a stool to get to stuff and I’m not short. It least the bed is barely low enough to load stuff. Modern trucks are monstrosities. Lifted too high to load anything into, can’t get to anything under the hood, hilariously expensive, difficult to repair.

The cavernous under hood is the best part. I think I’ll keep my square body……
Only in NM...that would have rusted to the ground up here...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Dad had a ‘78 power wagon and it was pretty big. You could fit a second engine under the hood…

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Hate to admit it but l love my beater 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. Proper size even though it's lifted just a bit. The dash is busted in a million pieces but that doesn't bother me none. Don't keep me from hauling lumber or whatever I want around . 318 motor runs good still at 250,000 miles. Trans shifts out good and it rides and steers nice. Hell, I got the 2013 Odyssey for hunting (sniffing lol) out stereo gear.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I keep thinking the mid-size trucks today are the size of 1/2 and 3/4 tons from 20 years ago. My 2011 Suburban seems wider than the square bodies but they've all been pretty long since the beginning. A bunch of the width has to do with those damn airbags everywhere that have to be recalled every two years.

And yes, even at 6'1", I keep a step stool around. I get a kick out of watching my mechanic, who might be 5'9", work under that hood. I've got a 4' long mop/brush for washing the hood and top of the truck but even with that, I have to stand on my lower deck, which is about 18 inches off the ground to reach all the way across the top. But some of that, I did myself when I installed the heavier duty rear springs and the Bilstein 5100s.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
My least favorite things about newer cars (besides the protruding dash tablet infotainment) is how high the belt line is and how thick the A B C pillars are, who needs to see where they’re going anyways? /sarc

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
That one probably doesn't have reverse. Need to change cabs to go the other way.

Back in the day I had a 1st gen Rx-7, I could wash and dry that thing in 15 minutes as I could reach all the way across the roof. It was only 49" tall. Now we measure these trucks in feet.

So far it doesn't sound like we need them that big.