Phase Linear 700 (Near Disaster Averted)

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I am in the process of building a number of Phase Linear 700, 700B, and 700 series II amplifiers from the ground up. In the course of these builds, I was installing some heat-sinks and making sure that I had enough clearance between the heat-sinks, chassis and the TO-3 socket's (where the connection is made with the TO-3 transistors base and emitter pins). Low an behold I found (1) that could have driven me crazy. I have only ever seen (1) other example over the years and it was while working on an troublesome amp at Dean's house. Somehow these amps made it through production and Q.A.

In this particular case, the chassis was for a Clair Brothers/Phase Linear 700 series II amplifier.

Photo #4 is after I used a rat-tail file and enlarged the hole in the chassis.

Ed

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yeah, I've never seen one, but you've worked on a hundred for every one I've worked on...

THD+N

Journeyman
Ed,
What is your favorite model of the 700's (700, 700B, 700ll, 700HF)?

I prefer the PL14A/B or PL20 versions, although I want to try the 700HF version as well.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Ed,
What is your favorite model of the 700's (700, 700B, 700ll, 700HF)?

I prefer the PL14A/B or PL20 versions, although I want to try the 700HF version as well.
Nick,

My favorite model remains to be seen as I only had the (3) 700HF's only briefly before I sold and traded them off.

Perhaps I should add a 700HF build to the list.

My neighbor Dean (who was the last factory service manager at Phase Linear's) favorite is an original 700 and he is also a musician. When Bob Carver showed up at my friend (Greg's) house in the mid 1970's he brought along with him a 700 not the newer 700B he had designed. (That's a story for another day.)

The original 700 was the quietest of all the 700's Phase Linear built. Over time the amplifiers got progressively noisier in the area of signal-to-noise ratio. On the other hand with the use of better output transistors (in the late 1970's) they became more reliable. After approximately 1973/4 Phase Linear also used carbon film instead of carbon composition resistors and more reliable electrolytic capacitors on the pc boards.

I know you are already aware of the following (from our previous discussions) but I will post some comments for others to see below....

More than likely, the 700HF had the best specs of any Phase Linear 700 series amplifiers with perhaps the exception of T.H.D. (and DC offset). The 700HF was rated at 350 watts per channel from 20Hz to 100KHz at .25%, I suspect it also had the highest slew rate and lowest phase shift as well since they should correlate to the wider bandwidth. Albeit, it will more than likely oscillate with any newer MJ series output transistors and the use of any slow-down or bypass capacitors would limit its bandwidth. In which case, the 700HF might only be built with the older slower output devices: like the XPL 909 (GM Delco DTS411's) or FPL909's (Fairchild FT411's) The trade-off would be its reliability.

So as I often like to say; everything in life is a compromise, you have to give up one thing to gain another.

I am sorry I wasn't able to directly answer your question but after I complete my builds of 700 series amplifiers and conduct measurements and listening tests using nearly every revision of Phase Linear pc boards as well as White Oak audio rev A, D and E boards, I should have some better ideas as to their performance and may be able to come up with some preferences. Then again my ears aren't as trained as they use to be. Nor do I have the ideal speakers and room environment. (NOTE: I would also like to try any of your pc boards.)

Ed

Last edited:
Tagline
---
I just ran into that with a Pl400 that has Honeywell meters and the rectifier mounted to the chassis. 2 transistors had holes that were misaligned as you showed. The other thing was that the nylon washer that gets inserted would pass without issue through chassis holes but would not fit in a single heat sink hole by itself.

THD+N

Journeyman
Nick,

My favorite model remains to be seen as I only had the (3) 700HF's only briefly before I sold and traded them off.

Perhaps I should add a 700HF build to the list.

My neighbor Dean (who was the last factory service manager at Phase Linear's) favorite is an original 700 and he is also a musician. When Bob Carver showed up at my friend (Greg's) house in the mid 1970's he brought along with him a 700 not the newer 700B he had designed. (That's a story for another day.)

The original 700 was the quietest of all the 700's Phase Linear built. Over time the amplifiers got progressively noisier in the area of signal-to-noise ratio. On the other hand with the use of better output transistors (in the late 1970's) they became more reliable. After approximately 1973/4 Phase Linear also used carbon film instead of carbon composition resistors and more reliable electrolytic capacitors on the pc boards.

I know you are already aware of the following (from our previous discussions) but I will post some comments for others to see below....

More than likely, the 700HF had the best specs of any Phase Linear 700 series amplifiers with perhaps the exception of T.H.D. (and DC offset). The 700HF was rated at 350 watts per channel from 20Hz to 100KHz at .25%, I suspect it also had the highest slew rate and lowest phase shift as well since they should correlate to the wider bandwidth. Albeit, it will more than likely oscillate with any newer MJ series output transistors and the use of any slow-down or bypass capacitors would limit its bandwidth. In which case, the 700HF might only be built with the older slower output devices: like the XPL 909 (GM Delco DTS411's) or FPL909's (Fairchild FT411's) The trade-off would be its reliability.

So as I often like to say; everything in life is a compromise, you have to give up one thing to gain another.

I am sorry I wasn't able to directly answer your question but after I complete my builds of 700 series amplifiers and conduct measurements and listening tests using nearly every revision of Phase Linear pc boards as well as White Oak audio rev A, D and E boards, I should have some better ideas as to their performance and may be able to come up with some preferences. Then again my ears aren't as trained as they use to be. Nor do I have the ideal speakers and room environment. (NOTE: I would also like to try any of your pc boards.)

Ed
Ed,
As I said, when we spoke on the phone (or via email, I can't remember), the PL14A I converted to a PL20 (and added the zener diode to the diff pair emitter circuit) is my favorite version of the original PL designs right now. That same 400 I converted to full comp and sounds great.

I also modified the feedback caps to increase the bandwidth and slew rate. The Class A voltage amp transistor (40327) local feedback cap I changed to 100pF from 180pF. The global feedback cap I changed to 39pF from 120pF. I know get full power bandwidth to about 45kHz. I also modified the pre-driver and driver circuitry to operate in Class A, instead of Class B.

There is no turn on thump and a very minor (minuscule) turn off thump. It sounds great. Unweighted residual noise is 90dB. I have a matched pair of Fairchild 5172's in the front-end. DC Offset is less than 10mV for both channels. Distortion at 1 Watt at 20Khz is 0.03%.

On paper, the PL20 design looks old and archaic, but when you listen to it, it sounds very good and in a double-blind test, I think most people could not tell the difference between a "modern" design and the PL.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A series 1 chassis with extended bandwidth. Out to 100Khz at least IIRC. Cosmetically the same..

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Ed do you have the board layout and schematic for that? I have an old Series 1 I haven't decided what to do with, I might want to try this for the heck of it.