phase linear 3000 preamplifier

T-wrecks

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Good day gents, wondering if I should try repairing this old PL 3000 series 2. Supposedly this unit had been "recapped" by someone in Wisconsin. It does turn on and pass audio. Some of the weird shit it does include: volume rises and falls on aux and tuner, channels seem to cut out. phono channel is muffled and distorted. i have read all about the relays in this unit. Opening it up reveals only SOME of the caps were replaced.
IMG_1935[1].jpg
i thought this relay had melted at first. they actually glued it somehow to the pcb with some black tar. seems they destroyed the traces.
IMG_1932[1].jpg
here is the solder side of those flying leads

T-wrecks

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
IMG_1942[1].jpg
coolest rack handles ever
IMG_1944[1].jpg
phono one and two, more original electrolytes, and some that have been replaced. I suppose I should replace those? I would love to have a working phono channel.

Last edited:

T-wrecks

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
IMG_1945[1].jpg
Sealed and detented volume pot. I have to say there is some quality in this unit. Heavy chassis. Thick aluminum front plate.
IMG_1946[1].jpg
futronix type 1

T-wrecks

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
In the past I have gotten away with using solder braid and a 15 watt pencil to desolder. I wonder if I might want to invest in a desolder iron, if I take this on. Does anybody have suggestions on how to turn this sows ear to a silk purse? I have some ideas. This is what im thinking;

- replace all the crappy relays, install sockets for easy maintenance (it looks like sockets for this would just be a 16 pin sDIP?)
- replace more electrolytics in the two phono stages
- ?? and then

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Be careful messing with the phono stage, what you think are electrolytics may be polystyrene--extremely sensitive to heat---requires a heatsink to desolder or solder. Know which caps you are messing with. Check the service manual for identification. If you don't have a service manual.....GET ONE...

T-wrecks

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
ok the polysterenes are the pink and clear silver axial caps I think. thanks you for the warning. I have the service manual. so am I crazy? should I set this thing on fire? launch it out the window? target practice?

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Once you get those 14 relays (or 17) swapped out, upgrade some IC's, change out some caps, chase down a bunch of cold solder joints on bad traces.......yeah , it's a keeper...

T-wrecks

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Holy crap I feel amazing today. ordered 10 relays off an shady Ebay seller. Have some 16 pin dip sockets and solder braid coming from digikey.:colors:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yeah T-Wrecks...what he said...sockets are not needed. This will be the last time you replace those relays..

T-wrecks

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Ok so I will be taking yalls advice and NOt using sockets then, except for this one, which will be used to fix the damaged pcb.
IMG_2210[1].jpg

T-wrecks

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
have wanted one of these for a long time, perfect excuse :toothy8:
IMG_2217[1].jpg

Last edited: