Parallel Resistive Loading

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
That is exactly the reason why I like quartz lock direct drive. I have had several Thorens TT's and though very nice units, speed problems made me step away from them. The SL-1200mk2 is such a pleasure and no noise from the motor

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
D2: I like buying from needledaddy1 on eBay whenever I can. He's got some of the fairest prices on eBay and I've never even seen hoy a cantilever is supposed to get BENT new in the package. These guys must be bent, which never explains how you are f----- if you are bent.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
That is exactly the reason why I like quartz lock direct drive. I have had several Thorens TT's and though very nice units, speed problems made me step away from them. The SL-1200mk2 is such a pleasure and no noise from the motor
Despite the slightly fast running of the table, it stays dead on that speed with absolutely no variation (to my ears, have not tested with test record). The 165 is correct on speed and has never varied. As long as the belts are genuine and in good condition these tables run great, but they won't be as accurate as quartz lock direct drive. I would consider purchasing a Quartz DD in the future but I doubt it will have the sound character that the thorens tables do, which I very much like. Even still would be nice to have another TT in the house =).

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Derek, I have had 7 Thorens TT's and I have to say the only one I really liked was the TD-320mkII. I should never have sold that one! If you can find a SL-1200mk2 in your locale, they are certainly worth investigating. I would put mine w/ the Soundsmith Carmen or Ortofon MC20 Super II against most any unit out there for the same money spent or more. Everybody that stops over comments on how good the Technics does the job and how quiet it is. The speed never wavers. I have a few tiny nitpicks about the 1200 but nothing that can't be addressed easily

A few years ago, I would never have considered using a Technics as my main table. Sometimes unwarranted prejudices keep us from trying really good things. I don't even miss my Pioneer PL-550s anymore

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I second the needledaddy recommendation. I was very leery of aftermarket styli until I got one for an old Stanton 500 (gold) cart that came on my Russco table. I think the stylus cost 15 bucks or so, and it is as good as about anything I have. As to the AT150MLX, it is a great cartridge, but I still love the Shure M97xE with the Jico SAS. It is really that good.

I now have 9 different cartridges, all of them fantastic, including Audio Technicas, Ortofons, Shures, Stanton, and a few others. One of the great finds has been the Acutex 412 STR. Sold on eBay by an Italian seller, this is a real surprise..For about 68 bucks you have a cart that will challenge anything being made today. Take a look............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252092271547?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Attachments

Last edited:

derek92994

Tagline
Wow, that looks very interesting indeed. I may just try one.

derek92994

Tagline

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I am in love with this cartridge

I really think it is among the best I have, and that is going up against Audio Technica AT150MLX, Ortofon 2M Blue, and the Shure M97xE with Jico SAS...

I have ordered a second, and may order a third....just to have a backup for my backup.

I think the three pole magnet structure must really be doing something special. The diamond doesn't appear to be gem quality, and I am really unsure of the cut..shibata or tri-radial...or whatever it is...but whatever it is, it is great sounding.

The bass is outstanding, the mids are full and lush and the top end is electric..the only problems I can report is a tendency to be a little sibilant unless totally dialed in with overhang, VTA and VTF being almost perfect. but all really great carts have a tendency to be slightly sibilant (in my humble opinion).

I am really stretching to find any fault really. The cart is very 3D, and with headphones, it is unbelievable how good this thing sounds. For the money, it is an absolute no-brainer. There have been a lot of people who compare it to an Audio Technica AT440mLa or 440MLX..

If you buy one, and don't like it, I'll buy it from you. I'd rather have 6 or 7 of these instead of one AT150MLX...as I find the AT to be just a little (slightly) laid back....or subdued...or maybe I like a cart which is more exciting, like the Acutex...

A turntable enthusiast I met in Florida turned me on to Acutex, as I had never heard of them before, and apparently they stopped making cartridges in 1992 or thereabouts, but they were made in Japan, and were highly regarded in the day....the 312 and 320 being the most highly sought after models, with the 412 not far behind..\]\Oh yeah, the Italian seller includes the cart and stylus in original packaging...