Owner of The Turntable Shop in North Vancouver passed away

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
The fellow’s name was Nick Sieflow. I learned of this yesterday.

I engaged in numerous dealings with Nick, including buying a Thorens TD124 from him several years ago. But buyers remorse set in so I took it back to his shop in 2021 for consignment sale.

As far as I knew it had not sold after a year and a half so I made an 8 hour drive to retrieve it.

I could very well be SOL as his business was a one man show and I did not see my Thorens anywhere inside when looking through the shop’s windows.

According to the lady with a business next door, Nick became progressively ill over a very short time. Apparently he did not seek medical help and passed away in his apartment a month ago.

Nick was a word of mouth kind of guy and not one for written records. My Thorens could very well be elsewhere, never to be seen again.

More may be revealed or perhaps not.

62vauxhall

Tagline
A bit of an update.

When I made that last visit, a notice was taped to the door. It was placed there by a former employee who had left several years ago. The notice contained an e-mail address created by that former employee for the benefit of anyone who, like myself, had left items there for consignment sale or repair.

Needless to say, I sent an e-mail and received a phone call from the former employee two days ago. It seems he was asked, or perhaps offered, to oversee the adrift business because no one else connected with the former owner had any knowledge of the equipment involved or his business practices. That individual explained of having been inside the shop earlier on and having done some rearranging. It was suggested that was perhaps why my Thornes was not visible through the window. I provided pictures of the TD124 I had on consignment there and was told he perhaps did notice it but was among many other units. It sounded like an "inventory" was forthcoming.

So, a glimmer of hope that I shall be able to reclaim that turntable.

A memorial for Nick at some time in the near future was mentioned. If the timing works out, perhaps I can combine attending that memorial and retrieving the Thorens.

I was assured that I will be contacted in the not too far away future.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
A bit of an update.

When I made that last visit, a notice was taped to the door. It was placed there by a former employee who had left several years ago. The notice contained an e-mail address created by that former employee for the benefit of anyone who, like myself, had left items there for consignment sale or repair.

Needless to say, I sent an e-mail and received a phone call from the former employee two days ago. It seems he was asked, or perhaps offered, to oversee the adrift business because no one else connected with the former owner had any knowledge of the equipment involved or his business practices. That individual explained of having been inside the shop earlier on and having done some rearranging. It was suggested that was perhaps why my Thornes was not visible through the window. I provided pictures of the TD124 I had on consignment there and was told he perhaps did notice it but was among many other units. It sounded like an "inventory" was forthcoming.

So, a glimmer of hope that I shall be able to reclaim that turntable.

A memorial for Nick at some time in the near future was mentioned. If the timing works out, perhaps I can combine attending that memorial and retrieving the Thorens.

I was assured that I will be contacted in the not too far away future.
It gives one some hope in humanity...hope it works out.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Hope this works out for you; it sounds like Nick had folks that, even though they didn't work for him anymore, still thought enough of him to circle back around and help out his customers.

So many of us are one-man shops, one way or another. It's pretty amazing what we take to the grave with us.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Since my last post in May, I was given contact info for a lawyer who was handling the estate of Nick and his business, The Turntable Shop. After a couple of e-mails, I spoke with the lawyer yesterday.

He stated that Nick's brother in the US, the executor, had given him the wherewithal to settle outstanding transactions such as mine. We agreed on a sum that I can live with and was told to expect further communication to finalize the agreement so as I can receive payment. This I was told, will take place in less than 1 month.

During our conversation, the lawyer mentioned being audiophile so we yakked about turntables for a bit. His, he said, was a Lenco. I did not respond with what mine were.

In the intervening 3 months, I learned a little about the former owner, Nick Sieflow. Seems he was a noted photographer in Toronto and then in Vancouver. Specializing in headshots. He also worked with optics as in telescopes.

One time I asked how he came to start a business primarily dealing with turntables. He explained that having 41 of them in a 650 sq ft apartment prompted it. He also told me once that a relative (uncle?) in the UK was the inventor of a drill bit that drilled square holes.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Man I hope this works out brother. Personally I would rather have the 124 back and don't see a reason why its not in the inventory

62vauxhall

Tagline
Man I hope this works out brother. Personally I would rather have the 124 back and don't see a reason why its not in the inventory
When I first learned of Nick's passing, I envisioned myself being considered an unsecured creditor therefore getting diddly squat for compensation. I had no clue what assets or bona fide creditors were involved. With no transaction records kept, it seemed quite possible my claim could be disallowed. Even though I am taking a $750 loss, I am relieved that there seems to be adequate resources to obtain reimbursement.

I guess I'll know for sure when the cheque is in hand.

Re wanting to have the the 124 back:

Retrieving it was my objective when this episode began in May and I was trying to psych myself about about using it. But frankly, I thought I was foolish for buying it in the first place. I doubt that it had 10 hours play time while in my position. Playing records lost it's allure and when I did indulge, I was quite happy using one of the Dual, Garrard or Elac changers I have. Put the record on, push start, and the arm returns when play is done.

I do have a nice Pioneer PL-630 which also came from The Turntable Shop but it has seen zero use in three years.

There are a lot of contributing factors to my loss of interest in listening to recordings. I cannot identify just one reason why although age and lifestyle change including the accompanying different priorities are probably the most significant.

Strangely, the urge to acquire more records is still strong even though they may not get played. Old gear too but there is little of that to be had around here. Probably a good thing because there are half assed fixed things kicking around here that should have attention.

In October, I will have had my yellow lab Milo for 3 years and he eats up a lot of my day. Each and every day is like working a swing shift job. Three hours I have between the 1 1/2 hour walks, hikes, swimming and/or ball chasing sessions. And then travel time on top of it.

If I add it up, 6 or 7 hours per day is spent outside doing something with Milo. I spend a lot of the in between breaks cooking, baking or doing some other kind of chore. It's a surprise really that retirement just means the absence of payed employment. Having all the time in world to pursue hobbies or interests is a myth.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
When I first learned of Nick's passing, I envisioned myself being considered an unsecured creditor therefore getting diddly squat for compensation. I had no clue what assets or bona fide creditors were involved. With no transaction records kept, it seemed quite possible my claim could be disallowed. Even though I am taking a $750 loss, I am relieved that there seems to be adequate resources to obtain reimbursement.

I guess I'll know for sure when the cheque is in hand.

Re wanting to have the the 124 back:

Retrieving it was my objective when this episode began in May and I was trying to psych myself about about using it. But frankly, I thought I was foolish for buying it in the first place. I doubt that it had 10 hours play time while in my position. Playing records lost it's allure and when I did indulge, I was quite happy using one of the Dual, Garrard or Elac changers I have. Put the record on, push start, and the arm returns when play is done.

I do have a nice Pioneer PL-630 which also came from The Turntable Shop but it has seen zero use in three years.

There are a lot of contributing factors to my loss of interest in listening to recordings. I cannot identify just one reason why although age and lifestyle change including the accompanying different priorities are probably the most significant.

Strangely, the urge to acquire more records is still strong even though they may not get played. Old gear too but there is little of that to be had around here. Probably a good thing because there are half assed fixed things kicking around here that should have attention.

In October, I will have had my yellow lab Milo for 3 years and he eats up a lot of my day. Each and every day is like working a swing shift job. Three hours I have between the 1 1/2 hour walks, hikes, swimming and/or ball chasing sessions. And then travel time on top of it.

If I add it up, 6 or 7 hours per day is spent outside doing something with Milo. I spend a lot of the in between breaks cooking, baking or doing some other kind of chore. It's a surprise really that retirement just means the absence of payed employment. Having all the time in world to pursue hobbies or interests is a myth.
It is a shame that Nick passed. It is also a shame that he allowed himself to take on more work than he could possibly get to leading to this situation. Sadder still that he had no one to pass it on to. Transferring knowledge is key and far too rare.

62vauxhall

Tagline
It seems like there may be an estate sale in the future? Nick's brother would know.
It was about a month after the fact when I learned of Nick's death. That news was told to me by the owner of a record/vintage stereo gear store 50 km away from Nick's store. And the day before I intended to visit Nick and take back my TD124.

I totally believe that anyone and everyone within the GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional District) who had any connection at all with used audio or records either on a professional or hobbyist level, would have known almost immediately that Nick had died.

I speculate that there would have been a lot of individuals with deep pockets who had an early heads up that there would be stuff up for grabs. When the lawyer was engaged, he probably had a list of people all wanting a crack at the store stock. By this point in time, I'd say that there is nothing left.

62vauxhall

Tagline
It is a shame that Nick passed. It is also a shame that he allowed himself to take on more work than he could possibly get to leading to this situation. Sadder still that he had no one to pass it on to. Transferring knowledge is key and far too rare.
It would not be a total surprize to me if The Turntable Shop business continued with a new owner. If so, whether said person has the same acumen for purchasing and selling plus the skill set to perform repairs, would remain to be seen.

As far as I know, a business can have value even if there are no or few physical assets, just good will.

FWIW, last year I had a dealing with another Vancouver business - Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic where the owner passed away. The business continued with the 2nd in command but he was not fit to run things in my opinion. Somewhere along the line, maybe due to a decision by the past owner's family, someone else took over. Or so it seemed to me. I learned that the business premises was relocated for more space.

I had need of a fairly common 6.5" driver a few months ago and called them. The new fellow I spoke with said things were still in disarray but he was sure he had what I was looking for. I asked what the price would be and the answer was $150.

I bought random drivers there before and dealt with the previous owner. He would have asked for $50. So the business continues as I am sure their repair services are in demand but with new costs attached.

Perhaps that might be the case with The Turntable Shop?

My opinion of Nick was of him being a really pleasant and amiable guy. I witnessed several times, him dealing with drop in customers, turntable in hand, with some manner of problem like a belt, a patch cord, needle or adjustment. On the spot or within 30 minutes, he could have the thing operational and only ask for cost of parts. If no parts needed, like a solder job, it would be free of charge.

There were always people coming through the door. Sometimes it was like a social club where people just hung around and yakked.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It would not be a total surprize to me if The Turntable Shop business continued with a new owner. If so, whether said person has the same acumen for purchasing and selling plus the skill set to perform repairs, would remain to be seen.

As far as I know, a business can have value even if there are no or few physical assets, just good will.

FWIW, last year I had a dealing with another Vancouver business - Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic where the owner passed away. The business continued with the 2nd in command but he was not fit to run things in my opinion. Somewhere along the line, maybe due to a decision by the past owner's family, someone else took over. Or so it seemed to me. I learned that the business premises was relocated for more space.

I had need of a fairly common 6.5" driver a few months ago and called them. The new fellow I spoke with said things were still in disarray but he was sure he had what I was looking for. I asked what the price would be and the answer was $150.

I bought random drivers there before and dealt with the previous owner. He would have asked for $50. So the business continues as I am sure their repair services are in demand but with new costs attached.

Perhaps that might be the case with The Turntable Shop?

My opinion of Nick was of him being a really pleasant and amiable guy. I witnessed several times, him dealing with drop in customers, turntable in hand, with some manner of problem like a belt, a patch cord, needle or adjustment. On the spot or within 30 minutes, he could have the thing operational and only ask for cost of parts. If no parts needed, like a solder job, it would be free of charge.

There were always people coming through the door. Sometimes it was like a social club where people just hung around and yakked.
Seems like your consigned 124 may have paid for all that free service. Unfortunate situation for sure.