New vinyl; still noisy

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
I buy mostly used vinyls as my music taste is away from what is currently being pressed. But sometimes I'm lucky enough and have found some old pressings still factory sealed - brand new. But, most of the times, they are still clicking and popping. Why a brand new vinyl would give such noises since no dirt was allowed to enter the grooves?
Before blaming my setup, I can assure you that I have a few vinyls that there isn't a single clicking audible. Damn how well theses records are sounding!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I bought a 40 year old Sabbath album still in plastic, Not a lick of noise

It MAY not be your album. But, it could be. Remember the albums you could buy from Columbia House and you could get 50 of them for a dollar? I bet those were some quality shit......

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

It MAY not be your album. But, it could be. Remember the albums you could buy from Columbia House and you could get 50 of them for a dollar? I bet those were some quality shit......
Kinda like the old 45's that you had to cut out off the back of the Alpha Bits cereal box............

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time

A lot of the record clubs records were produced on worn out dies after pressing many more than they should have. The Terre Haute pressing plants were all about volume not quality

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I buy mostly used vinyls as my music taste is away from what is currently being pressed. But sometimes I'm lucky enough and have found some old pressings still factory sealed - brand new. But, most of the times, they are still clicking and popping. Why a brand new vinyl would give such noises since no dirt was allowed to enter the grooves?
Before blaming my setup, I can assure you that I have a few vinyls that there isn't a single clicking audible. Damn how well theses records are sounding!!!
I have no sense of how one record can be quiet and the next not. But I know the newer pressings are, for the most part, shit to my ears. And that includes the remastered stuff that is released at exorbitant prices. Unless it's a QRP pressing, I take a pass these days and take care of what I have. Digitizing a lot of my stuff helps with keeping playing time down.

All that said, I'm pretty scrupulous about the initial cleaning on a cleaning machine, even for in the wrapper vinyl. It helps but I'll admit it's not a cure-all in every case.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have several tecird club pressings and never had playback issues with them. The packaging is usually cheaper. I seriously doubt any band would risk sales over worn out dies. At this time lots of recycled vinyl was used to make new records. Dynaflex comes to mind in that case. RC issues definitely weigh more then the 70s Dynaflex issues. Perhaps quality was hit and miss?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Haven’t all the makers been recycling the trimmings since day one?

They may start with “virgin” vinyl, but did they scrap all the trimmings? I kinda doubt it.

I just think they cared more back in the day.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
The 2 new albums I bought, and especially the new Gretta Van Fleet album was really dirty when I opened it. I had to do some scrubbing to get it to quiet down. After a couple cleaning rounds, they now sound like they are supposed to.
At least yours were just dirty. That's not how it should be but it's correctable.