New one for the stack

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Just got in a Denon DR-M33HX. Dual Capstan, 3 motors, 3 heads, bias fine adjust. Pretty much a solid 3 head deck with minimal features. Paid 25 including shipping.

It .. sounds... GREAT. I guess sometimes luck shines on that auction place. I have it recording some Lee Ritenour now with a Phoenix blue. Very nice. My "sleeper metals" also do it very good justice.

To tell the truth, after eeh.. I'd say about 13+ tape decks, this guy here has been the closest to perfect. With the Onkyo TA-207 coming in a close second.

I do have a "mack daddy" of a deck coming tho, but in any case this one's probably going to stay up on the stack for awhile.

Attachments

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I won't bust your bubble. So I won't say what I got in perfect condition yesterday. I haven't been able to get to my bench to test it. But I did get a Denon for parts. I hope the get it torn apart. And get working on the project. Then we will have Toobs. LOL Its a secret.
Larry

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Well, I haven't got the "mack daddy" deck in yet (I'll wait til I get it to say what), but I've been putting this Denon through it's paces.

I'm recording some Talking Heads, on one of my "sleeper metals", and using the DBX outboard. I must say - I'm really starting to like this. I don't know why, but I've always had bad luck with tape. Even brand new decks back in the 80's. There to me was always a problem on one channel or another. Not this one, however. Perfect so far, and the DBX keeping the overall saturation level down really REALLY makes for a pleasant sounding recording.

I'm listening to the tape now... actually just listening to the MUSIC instead of with the typical critical ear.