New guy here!

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Aaron and I'm in the DC area. I'm relatively new to the world of audio/hifi, but I recently picked up some PL stuff off craigslist. I had been searching for an older Marantz receiver and happened upon someone selling a very clean Phase Linear setup. I knew the name, but had no previous experience with PL or any of Bob's products and I have been delightfully surprised. This seems like the best resource online, so I am eager to jump in and learn from you guys. Here's my setup...

PL 2000 preamp ser 2
PL 300 power amp ser 2
PL 1000 autocorrelator ser 2
PL 5100 tuner ser 2

Speakers: B&W DM640
Turntable: Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit w/ortofon 2M red

I currently only use the PL rig for the turntable and I am extremely impressed with the quality of the sound through the B&Ws. Of course, I am already wanting to upgrade and tinker with everything, so I've ordered the replacement for the RC4136 using the Brown Dog adapter and dual OPA2134s that I've read so much about on here.

Anyway, cheers!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There are a few threads about that kinda work so dig in and post up some questions when they arise.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The 300 is a good little amp. The outputs are the same used in the mighty Pioneer SX 1980, so they can be hard to find, so be careful with those.

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Welcome to our little niche Aaron. You did find the right place to learn about PL. Never seen a PL question go unanswered here. You're gonna enjoy this!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Aaron, I looked at the pic of the 2000 you sent. With no traces going to those bridged pins, I don't think that's a big deal. I don't have the data sheet in front of me, but it looks benign....

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Aaron, I looked at the pic of the 2000 you sent. With no traces going to those bridged pins, I don't think that's a big deal. I don't have the data sheet in front of me, but it looks benign....
Thanks, Lee. I just wasn't sure if it was affecting the internal workings of the opamp, but it sounds like you're saying that the solder is just there to hold the chip into the board, right?

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Another general question I have is about hum on these units. There is a very audible (but not overly offensive) 60hz hum coming from the speakers across all inputs. The original owner bought the unit new in Germany when he was stationed overseas and had it rewired for 110v (supposedly by PL at their facility in Lynnwood). Anyhow, they fitted it with a 3 prong cord and grounded directly to the chassis. From what I have seen, the original spec used a 2 prong cord. I tried using a 2 prong adapter to see if it would have any effect on the hum and it seems to have reduced it somewhat, but certainly did not eliminate it. Is this hum just the nature of the beast or could I still have a ground loop going on somewhere?

It appears that all of the signal grounding across the ins/outs on the board just go to the chassis through the mounting bolts anyway.

I have the power amp and autocorrelator powered through the switched AC outlets on the premap btw.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Hum is not inherent in the design, contrary to popular belief. A cure to some of it was to flip the original 2 prong plug where it plugs in the wall. Does the 2000 still have the resistor and cap across the power switch.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Aaron, welcome to Phoenix. This is definately the place you should be. There are some very sharp people here when it comes to the holy grail of amps. I'm not one of them :)

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hum is not inherent in the design, contrary to popular belief. A cure to some of it was to flip the original 2 prong plug where it plugs in the wall. Does the 2000 still have the resistor and cap across the power switch.
Lee, I'll go ahead and take detailed pictures when I get home and then start a new thread in the appropriate forum to outline my questions/issues. That way it'll be easier for someone else to find down the road. You guys rock!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
We're jazzy as well and I'm a little bit country thanks to Grandma Orange, Olivia Newton-John and MARIE OSMOND :happy3:

Certifiably nuts, and salty (not as much as NavLinear).

Welcome!

nelsress

Journeyman
Welcome to Phoenix, Aaron. You'll find lots of friendly, knowledgeable, helpful folks here at this forum. Best of luck with your Series 2 grouping!

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I'm glad to have stumbled upon this little niche on the web. You guys are amazingly knowledgeable and also willing to help. It is much appreciated!